Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download GB for iOS9

Why I cannot download GarageBand for iOS 9 to my iPad 2 after iOS 10 release. I can have the older version there, but I really need that app :-)

JZ

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.5, null

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 3:54 PM

You've obtained GarageBand for iOS using iTunes. Great. Now this is how you get it on your device:

Redownload an app

You can redownload apps on your iPhone or iPod touch, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV (4th generation). You can also redownload some in-app purchases.

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. On an iPhone or iPod touch: Tap Updates, then tap Purchased.
    On an iPad: Tap Purchased.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the app that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The app downloads to your device.

tt2

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 3:54 PM in response to joao71

You've obtained GarageBand for iOS using iTunes. Great. Now this is how you get it on your device:

Redownload an app

You can redownload apps on your iPhone or iPod touch, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV (4th generation). You can also redownload some in-app purchases.

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. On an iPhone or iPod touch: Tap Updates, then tap Purchased.
    On an iPad: Tap Purchased.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the app that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The app downloads to your device.

tt2

Aug 12, 2017 1:50 AM in response to rjario

Here is what you will see if you search for GarageBand in the App Store in iTunes:

User uploaded file

Click Get to add it to your account if you haven't already. If it starts downloading immediately you can cancel the download since you cannot transfer the current version into an older device using iTunes.

If you now go into App Store > Purchased > Not on This iPad on your device you should see this:

User uploaded file

Tap the cloud symbol to download and install.

The image above is from an iPad 2 that I recently restored to factory settings and set up for my wife. If it works for me it should work the same way for you too.

tt2

Aug 12, 2017 11:32 AM in response to turingtest2

User uploaded file

This is the screen that comes up every time I try to get it. I am not sure what else I should do. Maybe the fact that yours was restored to factory settings made a difference, even though I am not sure it would.

Another funny predicament I seem to be in, is it seems as though the GarageBand App is in limbo due to me trying to get it via the iTunes application on my computer.

User uploaded file

It's been like this for a bit. I tried deleting it and it won't go away.

Aug 12, 2017 2:34 PM in response to turingtest2

So I turned it off then back on and the waiting item disappeared.

Great, now we start back from square 1.

I made a backup on iTunes, I restored my device, and went through the entire process, only to receive this message.

User uploaded file

Then I said to myself, "Ok, lets try on the app store again then."

I go to the app store, click the cloud and got the same "requires iOS 10.3 or higher" nonsense.

Now I am rather determined, so I'm going to keep trying to troubleshoot this issues until I get a version of GarageBand on this device.

In theory, what if I delete the GarageBand app from iTunes on my computer, go to the app store on my device and THEN try to install? Will that trigger the "Install previous version" message?

Aug 12, 2017 6:09 PM in response to rjario

I was having the same problem ( I couldn't download GB) on my iPad 2, I was able to install GB doing the following:

By the way my iPad 2 has 9.3.5 software on it

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

First connect your iPad to your computer using the cable, once you see your iPad on I did the following:

1- clicked with the mouse inside the app option of the iPad. On the right side hand you'll see every single app ever downloaded on any iOS device.

2-On the tab on top of the app's sort by name

3-Go to G for garage band and click install (it will change to will install) click sync and hopefully you'll see how GB is installed.

Good luck

Aug 13, 2017 4:43 PM in response to Cristian sobol

User uploaded file

In a sad turn of events, we still have this error message coming up, for reasons I am unaware of.

But what I DO notice, is that because GarageBand was never installed onto the iPad, it requires 1.56 GB. Whereas yours only takes up about 727.3 MB.

So what this does point out is still the factor that it gave you the option to install the previous version whereas it only told me, "You do not have the current OS, therefore you cannot install the app you have purchased, even though it is impossible for you to do so because your device is outdated."

I'm not giving up just yet though, I will get GarageBand on this device.

Aug 13, 2017 8:09 PM in response to rjario

User uploaded file

And now we play the waiting game.

I sent them a feedback, and to possibly make sure that this is an issue they'd eventually resolve. I recommend everyone who is having this issue do the same.

Feedback - iTunes - Apple

Just follow the link above and state the issue. Be sure to state that you have paid for the application and shouldn't have to buy the latest iPad in order to use it.

Aug 12, 2017 11:47 AM in response to rjario

Reboot the device and try to delete the "waiting" item once again. If it won't delete normally try from Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage. Not that it ought to matter but you could try switching to iPad Apps at the top right.

If you still cannot get it to install try the approach in Re: Itunes will not sync music to iphone.

tt2

Aug 12, 2017 5:35 PM in response to rjario

Please accept my apologies. I was so keen to generate the screenshot earlier today before I left for work that I neglected to follow through with the actual download. Much to my surprise having tried to complete it just now I find myself in the same boat as you. Clearly Apple have dropped the ball with this, or more cynically they have deliberately prevented the older version from downloading. It may take some posts to Feedback - GarageBand for iOS - Apple to get this corrected, if they can be persuaded to. 😕

I've just sent feedback. Taking another look at Install an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support I see it was last updated back in December and is described as archived, which may indicate that Apple have planned to abandon this feature. I also gather that iOS 11 will drop all 32-bit apps, so perhaps they really have withdrawn any support for older devices. 😟

tt2

Aug 6, 2017 9:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi

I've just bought a used Ipad 3 in ios 9 and it's updated. My goal was to work on garageband. I installed also itunes on my pc windows 10 and downloaded garageband so that I can download older version into ipad 3 as advised in foruns etc.... Unfortunately any way my ipad keeps telling me that I need ios 10 to use garageband.

I'm new at Apple and many people advise me that ios are tricky and now I'm sure it is.

If GarageBand is an old app comming from ipad 1...why can't I use it? Even a old buggy version?

How can I manage to figure out this install?

I'm already made several ios reset but every time I get the same incompatibility.

Can any one tell me if I need to put my ipad in the garbage because is a peace of garbage just because apple want to sell me a new one?

I have several computers and android systems and work with old windows XP etc and can work with apps...

Hope that Apple can convince me that their less tricky than people says :-)

Thanks a lot for the help

Aug 6, 2017 7:51 PM in response to JendaZ.

It seems everyone tried to reply just ignore the essence of the problem .

1.I have an iPad 3 , i buy Garageband like 4 years ago or maybe 5 ,

2.In between this 4 years , i deleted the app

3.ok , so this week , i try to re-install the app , app store or itunes not allowed , because i only have Ios 9 point whatever , which is as far as my i Pad 3 could have , and it will be up to date until the end ofworld .

4.now , I have tried use iTune on the computer syncn it , it doesn't work either

I guess , i just have to buy another iPad? just because i want to use Garageband ? maybe i should , i guess that's the end of it. That is the catch of using apple product i guess.

Aug 8, 2017 4:50 PM in response to JendaZ.

I was ha the same problem ( I couldn't download GB) on my iPad 2

connect your iPad to your computer once you see the iPad on ITunes click with the mouse inside the app option of the iPad.

I tunes will show you every single app ever downloaded on any iOS device.

search for GB once you click it GB will display a tab that says will install, click sync and hopef you'll see how GB is installed.

Good luck

Download GB for iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.