Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive keeps asking for password

There is probably an obvious fix for it but I can't seem to find it: I have previously configured time machine to encrypt a volume on my mac for backup but I stopped using it as a backup volume and would like to use it as a normal volume. However every time I boot up the iMac the hard drive asks me for a password. Is there a way to remove it?

thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 7:35 AM

7 replies

Sep 14, 2016 2:03 PM in response to leroydouglas

Apologies. It was all done with time machine software. When I began running a time machine back up, I selected this disk by mistake as the target backup disc (and ticked the "encrypt" box), and it started encrypting the disc but I quickly cancelled it. Now it asks me for password when I boot up the iMac (when I put the password in, it unlocks the drive no problem but I want to remove the password asking business altogether, if there is such an option).

I don't need to recover/decrypt it, just to stop iMac asking for password everytime it starts up and the drive is connected.

Sep 14, 2016 2:14 PM in response to leroydouglas

Ah! Thanks! The option where it should be displayed "Unencrypt DiskName", is greyed out and it says "Encrypting DiskName". But I have cancelled encryption with time machine already. Would ejecting and reconnecting the volume help?

(I am running carbon copy cloner which will probably take 2 days..so will have to try this option in a while as the volume is a partition of a very large external hard drive).

Hard drive keeps asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.