Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 10 update- home button broken

I have just done the ios10 update and my home button has been broken for 2years. Its completed the update but its stuck on a white screen saying "press home to upgrade''. I am clearly unable to do this command and i cant seem to restore to my back up through itunes.. Help please!!

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 4:09 PM

29 replies

Mar 25, 2017 11:42 PM in response to kaylabon87

I have a solution for people to get pasted the "hello" (set up screen).

plug your phone into your computer and in iTunes inside of summary go to configure accessibility then select "voice over" and then done.

when voice over highlights "press home to open" on your iPhone double tap then you're in. now you can either continue set up with voice over od turn it off before the screen turns off.

hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2017 1:53 AM in response to kaylabon87

Please Follow these steps, Its Really working..

1. Turn off

2. Turn on keep pressing the "turn on button"

3. Keep the volume down button pressed

4. After a while, the unlock code screen is shown a swift moment.

5. A second person immediately have to start typing the unlock code

6. Voila.

7. Later you can use the method of swiping to get to the screen where Siri shows the latest started apps and try to start one of them. The unlock screen is shown.

May 30, 2017 3:23 PM in response to kaylabon87

Ok first dont listen to these spam and want to be ill tell how to bypass "deadlock"

1.shut down your phone

2.hold the power botton and volume down

3.then it should shut down again

4.last connect to itunes and while your phone is shut down and wait for it to open

5.then a screen will put up on your iPhone screen to complete setup

There i just saved your day

Your Welome

Jun 10, 2017 11:49 PM in response to kaylabon87

Hey , I know its almost been year but for anyone who recently looking on how to get in their phone and your lock button broke and you need to tap home button to continue.

Step 1 : ONLY IF YOU RESET YOU PHONE BEFORE !! Turn off phone .. volume up and lock button !

Step 2: Turn it back on and you should be on the language setting.... click your language..

Step 3 : Easy steps until login in with your apple id , login as usually and it would say send text to (***) *** - **whatever your last digits of your phone number.

Step 4 : click didn't receive and press call phone (ONLY WORKS IF PHONES ON) it would send you a code so write it down then type it in

Step 5 : Credit Card information and Icloud bavk up starting ......

Step 6 : Back to the Press Home screen ... GREAT !!! Make sure that you can now see your battery life and your carrier and wifi ... YOUR DOING GREAT !!

Step 7 : Wait at 10 minutes and then turn phone back off , REMEMBER WHEN YU PUT A PASSWORD WHEN COMPLETING SETUP !! YOU WILL HAVE TO GO FAST !!!

Step 8 : turn phone on wait and hurry and type password , then complete steps 4 and 5 again :..

AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD AND IN YOUR PHONE REMEMBER TO DIABLE ALL HOME BUTTON ACTIVITIES AFTER THIS ONE !!!!

COMMENT , SHARE !!

if it help THANKS

Jun 28, 2017 9:56 PM in response to kaylabon87

Connect the phone to iTunes and on the main "summary" screen there will be a "Configure Accessibility..." button. I selected "Speak Auto-Text" and "Use mono audio" and then powered my phone off and turned it back on and I was in the setup screen for wifi networks, so I didn't have to use the home button. Hope it works for anyone reading this.

After you go through the set up you can turn on the virtual home button in the settings on your device, and you don't need to keep "Speak Auto-Text" and "Use mono audio" enabled.

Sep 16, 2016 2:18 PM in response to kaylabon87

Hi kaylabon87,

If your Home button is not working on your iPhone, and you can't update or restore your device, the resource below provides a link to contact AppleCare for assistance.

If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Contact Apple Support if you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken or stuck buttons.

Last Modified: Sep 15, 2016​

Take care.

Sep 19, 2016 9:21 AM in response to gifford2286

Hi- there is no way to fix this other than to replace the home button- I had an identical issue which effectively blocked my phone. As all the apple stores in the area were unavailable, I had to get this done elsewhere- Apple support weren't terribly interested in the inconvenience and expense caused fixing what was a fine functioning phone before the update. I would suggest to Apple that that they make it very clear that you need the home button working before accepting any update.

Sep 22, 2016 11:47 PM in response to kaylabon87

My son has an Ipad 2 mini with broken home button. We were also in "deadlock" after upgrading to iOS 10. After a lot of trying we managed to solve the issue with:

1. Turn off

2. Turn on keep pressing the "turn on button"

3. Keep the volume down button pressed

4. After a while, the unlock code screen is shown a swift moment.

5. A second person immediately have to start typing the unlock code

6. Voila.

7. Later you can use the method of swiping to get to the screen where Siri shows the latest started apps and try to start one of them. The unlock screen is shown.

ios 10 update- home button broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.