Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 press home button to unlock?

My iPad 4 doesn't have the ability read fingerprints and iOS 10 is forcing me to press the home button to unlock. Is there a setting to restore swipe to unlock?

iPad, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 9:44 AM

Hi, Mike Sombrio.

I understand your need to be able to unlock your iPad, as I use mine everyday. I would be happy to help you fix this issue.

As per my understanding, you are unable to unlock your iPad using push to unlock. Based on what you discribed, I do not feel as if there is no other option that to restore. Your iPad dosn't need Touch ID to be able to push to unlock. Just hit the homebutton, and if you have a passcode, it will prompt you to enter your passcode. If you do not, it will let you go into your device. Hope this helped!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2016 9:44 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi, Mike Sombrio.

I understand your need to be able to unlock your iPad, as I use mine everyday. I would be happy to help you fix this issue.

As per my understanding, you are unable to unlock your iPad using push to unlock. Based on what you discribed, I do not feel as if there is no other option that to restore. Your iPad dosn't need Touch ID to be able to push to unlock. Just hit the homebutton, and if you have a passcode, it will prompt you to enter your passcode. If you do not, it will let you go into your device. Hope this helped!

Sep 18, 2016 1:01 PM in response to AlexDolle

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Having to press the home button twice just to enter my passcode is unnecessary wear and tear on the button. Before iOS 10 I was able to swipe to enter my unlock code. Other than pressing the home button twice the only option I can find is to turn the passcode off leaving my iPad and stored information open to anyone gaining access to it. If there's not an option now hopefully if enough of us leave feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ Apple will restore the option to swipe.

Sep 21, 2016 7:31 PM in response to SeaPapp

I'm on IOS 10. Maybe I need to clarify. A slide to the right (of the Home Screen) gets the camera. If I swipe the screen to the right I get Spotlight Search, from there I tap an icon. Also I can swipe any of the Home screen and Notification Center notifications to open my iPad.

Home screen.

User uploaded file

Sliding.

User uploaded file

Spotlight search.

User uploaded file

Notification Center over Home Screen.

User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2016 9:36 PM in response to SeaPapp

Just another of a handful of reasons that I am not upgrading any of my iDevices to the initial iOS 10.

Things better get better or I may just pass on every single update of iOS 10, just like I did with iOS 8.

Apple has not focused on the proper things this time around with the initial release of iOS 10.

They just haven't.

I hope iOS get better fast. I really hope and do.

iPad 4 press home button to unlock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.