Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 - iPhone hangs on words when typing

I've noticed since upgrading to iOS 10 that if I'm typing a message in iMessage, and iMessage encounters a word that it doesn't have an autocorrect suggestion for, it will hang. If I shut down iMessage, restart it, and try again, it does the same thing.

I also see the same issue in the Facebook app. What did they change in iOS 10 that's causing this problem? So far, I'm not liking iOS 10.

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 9:14 AM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2016 9:25 AM in response to SiaGee

The update was only a temporary fix for me. The problem returned within two days. I took someone else's advice and installed SwiftKey--it works without any issues, which leads me to believe that it is a problem with iOS 10's dictionary. I noticed any time the freeze happens, my phone has the loading icon in the upper left corner like it's connecting or downloading something. Someone else said that iOS 10 connects to the cloud for "better word suggestions." Until this is addressed (perhaps by making the "enhanced" word checking optional) I'll be using SwiftKey

Oct 20, 2016 12:24 AM in response to sharkinstx

I have this EXTRAORDINARILY annoying problem, too. The apps all freeze and I have to restart them - this happens across a multitude of apps: Outlook, Email, Whatsapp, WeChat - anything that heavily depends on typing. The only solution I've found is to switch to Gboard (ironically, Google's keyboard). I tried cleaning out the dictionary / resetting it as suggested above, didn't work. Terribly disappointed that this issue has not been corrected after having it for at least a month now.

Nov 24, 2016 10:52 PM in response to sharkinstx

Problem is solved!

Here is the story...

Apple told me to do a reset of the phone and install it as a new one and download all apps from scratch, but then I would loose some old apps that you cann't find in AppStore anymore. They also told me that they know about the problem but do not have any other idea about how to solve the problem besides this workaround. Really bad I would say, but after thinking about this and looking at what others have said about the issue, I made a reset of the dictionary. It did not help! However I installed other keyboards and deleted my default keyboards, and then I installed my keyboards again. I also after that did just a simple hard reset on my phone, just in case, and guess what, now my phone works perfectly again. Apple, you can send me a small gift for helping out;-)

iOS 10 - iPhone hangs on words when typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.