Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP vs SMB Performance

I've just updated to the latest release of Sierra. I thought I had read somewhere that SMB was preferred over AFP in Sierra and that the performance would be improved. I see no improvement. My results are so drastically different, I thought I would post to see if someone else can tell me why my SMB performance is so abysmal???

I have a Mac Pro (non-cylinder) on a wired gigabit home network. Synology DS412+ NAS running 4 disks in RAID 5. I mounted this my my Mac using the basic "Connect to Server" option in Finder and typing in "afp://server:share" and "smb://server:share" for the tests. Both were mounted and tested separately, meaning I disconnected AFP before mounting and testing SMB. I used rsync with some verbose options to copy one 1.5GB file in order to see the speed and get some transfer stats.

Here are the stats for transferring the file over AFP:

[josh@jeter /joshtmp] --> transfer diskimage.ISO /Volumes/FILES/tmp/

building file list ...

1 file to consider

diskimage.ISO

1.49G 100% 52.18MB/s 0:00:27 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

Number of files: 1

Number of files transferred: 1

Total file size: 1.49G bytes

Total transferred file size: 1.49G bytes

Literal data: 1.49G bytes

Matched data: 0 bytes

File list size: 121

File list generation time: 0.002 seconds

File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds

Total bytes sent: 1.49G

Total bytes received: 42

sent 1.49G bytes received 42 bytes 52.20M bytes/sec

total size is 1.49G speedup is 1.00

I think that's a pretty decent speed, but my concern is not the top speed, it's the disparity.

Here's the SMB speed:

[josh@jeter /joshtmp] --> transfer diskimage.ISO /Volumes/FILES/tmp/

building file list ...

1 file to consider

diskimage.ISO

1.49G 100% 18.02MB/s 0:01:18 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

Number of files: 1

Number of files transferred: 1

Total file size: 1.49G bytes

Total transferred file size: 1.49G bytes

Literal data: 1.49G bytes

Matched data: 0 bytes

File list size: 121

File list generation time: 0.001 seconds

File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds

Total bytes sent: 1.49G

Total bytes received: 42

sent 1.49G bytes received 42 bytes 18.71M bytes/sec

total size is 1.49G speedup is 1.00

Also, here is the statshare info to see how it was mounted:

[josh@jeter /joshtmp] --> smbutil statshares -a

================================================================================ ==================

SHARE ATTRIBUTE TYPE VALUE

================================================================================ ==================

FILES

SERVER_NAME rivera

USER_ID 1026

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED

SMB_VERSION SMB_3.0

SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK

SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE

EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE

LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE

CLIENT_REQUIRES_SIGNING TRUE

DFS_SUPPORTED TRUE

MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED TRUE

ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_ON TRUE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Also, attached is a screenshot of my share settings from the Synology. It shows both the SMB and AFP settings. The pop-out box is the "Advanced Settings" options from the SMB section.

Any ideas at all???? Please and thank you.

See Image Here.

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 11:45 PM

Unfortunately, this does not compare to transfer speed of Windows at 110MB/s. A problem I am trying to figure out - details of my testing here: https://www.tech-knowhow.com/2017/01/mac-os-network-transfer-speed-still-broken- sierra/

8 replies

Sep 16, 2017 12:18 AM in response to marshalleq

I have just bought 2 thunderbolt-to-10gbps Ethernet adapters to connect my MacBook Pro to a Mac Mini used as a file server. Even with the signing fix, the implementation of SMB3 still *****. AFP provides slightly higher throughput, and folder listing is WAY faster with AFP! I have lost my nights googling on the Internet for a solution, but apparently we are out of luck :-(

Sep 17, 2017 1:58 PM in response to cocciasik

i have the same performance with my Synology 413j - I'm using afp as with smp it is slower to list files in folders and also to load the images from my media in itunes.

I had smb disabled before but now I had to enable it for sonos to be able to access my music files in the nas. This is a small problem as I have my shares connected as afp but the shared nas in finder try to connect using smb and it fails.

Sep 20, 2016 11:51 AM in response to jbhardman

It seems that Apple still has not fixed their "quick and dirty" fix for Badlock as described in this thread: El Capitan 10.11.5 update SMB slow (bug)

If you believe that your network is secure from man-in-the-middle attacks and the Badlock bug, then you can disable client signing.

1. Create a nsmb.conf file in /etc with vim. sudo will be required.
  2. Write into the file:

[default]

signing_required=no

Then restart your machine. Your SMB3 speeds should be comparable to AFP again.

Here's the earlier post: Re: Re: Re: Re: El Capitan 10.11.5 update SMB slow (bug)

AFP vs SMB Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.