Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes keeps crashing in Sierra. Please help!

After upgrading on my iMac (mid-2014), I cannot open Notes. Crashes every time after I clicked thru the tutorial on the new updates for Notes. Please help! Thank you!

Notes-OTHER, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 7:27 PM

24 replies

Sep 22, 2016 7:37 PM in response to citizenleroy

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I experienced the same problem after attempting to update a note (my guess is that update "corrupted something" and I could not re-open notes without it immediately crashing. A Google search for "Apple Notes Crashing" "Sierra" led me to this thread and I did your above uncheck-open blank-re-check and it has fixed the problem for me too.

Sep 25, 2016 9:25 AM in response to citizenleroy

Had the same problem after upgrading to Sierra. Notes opened just fine. However, the second I started to edit a note, the app crashed. I tried to reopen it several times. The app would only stay open for a split second and, then, crash again.

Another fix I found, while Googling the problem, was to go into Notes through iCloud.com and edit a note, there. Then, I was able to reopen the desktop app and it was working fine.

It appears something got broken in the line of communication between iCloud and the desktop app.

Sep 25, 2016 10:47 AM in response to Cerebro

On a related note, I have (even since the days of El Capitan) sometimes had issues with some notes not syncing properly between devices. Most common is I open Notes on my Mac desktop and find that notes I have added earlier on my iPhone do not come into the Mac. When this happens, if I sign into icloud.com through a browser and access my Notes there, it (most of the time) causes the additional notes to start syncing from the phone to the Mac desktop. (I have all three open when I do this and can watch it happening miraculously before my eyes). If it DOESN'T solve the problem, then I believe citizenleroy's solution to the original problem in this thread would also solve that issue as well.

Notes keeps crashing in Sierra. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.