Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sierra - Safari has 300% CPU

Just installed... and the pages and app in the Activity Monitor for Safari are amounting to about 300% and the fan going crazy. Any similar issues out there and advice? thx

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 12:52 AM

27 replies

Sep 21, 2016 1:19 PM in response to spazio-keeper

Hello spazio-keeper,
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that Safari is using a larger than normal percentage of the CPU, impacting your MacBook Pro fan. I know it can be concerning when apps and the fans behave unexpectedly. I am happy to help.

First, I recommend quitting the app by opening Safari choosing Safari > Quit Safari. If the issue persists the next option would be to reset the System Management Controller (SMC). This can resolve performance and fan issues. Use the steps and link below to assist with resetting the SMC.

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
Have a great day!

Sep 22, 2016 2:06 PM in response to spazio-keeper

I think that the issue resides in the Safari Application itself. I have trashed all folders containing any content for Safari, and a restart of the Safari Application will yield a usable program for NO MORE THAN 60-120 second.

I don't even have enough time to read the cpu usage in the Activity Monitor.

If it doesn't work will all user content removed, then I don't think we should be directed to use time consuming procedures to troubleshoot the problem until we hear from Apple.

I've spend over four hours on this issue today and that is four hours on work that I'm not getting paid for because I was wasting my time on Safari.

MacOS Sierra - Safari has 300% CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.