Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying songs from other countries listed in the iTunes Stores

I am trying to buy songs from the Japanese iTunes stores and it appears to me, as a Canadian I cannot buy anything outside of...North America?? Possibly due to silly licensing issue or..?

Any feedback on that?
Thank you

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Dec 11, 2006 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2006 1:17 PM

Unless you can show some form of residency you cannot buy from another country's store. The question on cross store purchasing is asked frequently so I'll just quote the most complete answer (courtesy of Dave Sawyer) from the many given:

In order to buy from any given country's iTunes Music Store, you must have either:

a) a credit card with a billing address in that country, or

b) a mailing address in that country and a gift certificate or a prepaid card that was bought in that country.

If you cannot fulfill one of these two sets of conditions, you will not be able to purchase from any given country's iTMS.

.......this is due to restrictions placed on Apple by the record companies and other rights holders (who are often completely different from country to country and so all require their own individual negotiations and contracts), not by Apple's choice. And this also applies to all the legal download stores that carry major-label content, not just the iTMS.
44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2006 1:17 PM in response to Waterdragon

Unless you can show some form of residency you cannot buy from another country's store. The question on cross store purchasing is asked frequently so I'll just quote the most complete answer (courtesy of Dave Sawyer) from the many given:

In order to buy from any given country's iTunes Music Store, you must have either:

a) a credit card with a billing address in that country, or

b) a mailing address in that country and a gift certificate or a prepaid card that was bought in that country.

If you cannot fulfill one of these two sets of conditions, you will not be able to purchase from any given country's iTMS.

.......this is due to restrictions placed on Apple by the record companies and other rights holders (who are often completely different from country to country and so all require their own individual negotiations and contracts), not by Apple's choice. And this also applies to all the legal download stores that carry major-label content, not just the iTMS.

Dec 21, 2006 12:00 PM in response to Zevoneer

Sorry to bark at the wrong tree again but I wanted to confirm this type of transaction:

1. US Resident with US address and account created in the US
2. Has credit on US store (gift cards etc)
3. Going to Australia for a period of time
4. Logged on to itunes: can I use the US store? and if so, can I FOR SURE - use my USD to buy 99cents songs from the US store while in Australia?

In other words, can I log into the US store from anywhere in the world and redeem credits off my account?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2006 1:52 PM in response to Waterdragon

If the gift card is really the only solution does anyone know where I can purchase foreign Itunes cards in the US?

Could we set up an itunes group on ebay and people in other countries could run down to a store purchase a card and throw it in the mail?

I'm still a little puzzled about why mac can't get permission to sell a specific artist/song/album through all of its stores.

I can't picture anyone in the music industry, especially the artist, being supportive of restrictions on buying music based on where you live.

Dec 22, 2006 1:16 PM in response to DemocracyinDC

I can't picture anyone in the music industry, especially the artist, being supportive of restrictions on buying music based on where you live.
Copyright & licensing laws are very different between countries.
Who's laws would rule? Where it's sold or where the artist is from?
For example, Saudi Arabia has very lax copyright laws.
The artist is not gonna get paid for any (or very little)of his work "sold" there.

Also, some companies cannot sell in one country because another country may hold the licensing rights to that music in that country.

Buying songs from other countries listed in the iTunes Stores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.