Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone7 attempting data recovery

Not sure what happened. I was talking on my new iphone 7 and it turned off and restarted. Now it is saying "attempting data recovery". I was upgrading to 10.01 from 10.0

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 1:55 PM

81 replies

Jan 9, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Mike Walker1

Same problem here. In this case, it was a problem with a forgotten passcode on a brand-new device, so now backups to recover. Just a straight recovery over iTunes. Got a 3004 error the first time, recovering it over my Win 8 PC, so I plugged it into an available iMac, and it recovered fine after that.

And then I got the "attempting data recovery" notice.

Since I had gone through recovery mode, I assume that the old (forgotten) passcode isn't an issue any more, so I input a dummy code twice, and was taken back to the data recovery screen. This has cycled 3 times now. Hopefully that will be the charm. Otherwise, off to the Apple store, I think.

Jan 26, 2017 2:59 PM in response to Mike Walker1

hello,

i got the same screen on my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB when i tried to downgrade back to iOS 10.2 from 10.2.1 on my MacBook Pro 2016 TB , so clearly its not widows or Mac's felt, when i asked about this from one of Apple employe who works in Apple said that is a iOS feature which lets iPhone 7 devices which has 128GB or up to keep the drive fast cuz it has lots of capacity to push

have a good day

Sep 23, 2016 6:58 PM in response to Mike Walker1

My iPhone 7 had the same issue, twice:

1) Update from 10.0.0 to 10.0.1 by iTunes after restore from an iPhone 6 backup

2) Update from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 by iTunes but with no backup restore

*Windows 10

The "attempting data recovery" screen took a relatively long time(maybe 10 minutes), and it followed a prompt "press home to recover".

During the process, iTunes was giving a message called "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone because it is locked with a passcode" and did nothing revolves data restore/recovery.

When the update completed, my iPhone seemed to be back to normal.

Although English is not my native language, the words "attempting" and "recovery" bothered me, sounds like there was some "failure" occurred, I searched the web and found nothing, I think maybe this is new from iOS 10.

I will appreciate it if someone can give some information about why this is happening.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------

P.S. There was no any failure appeared on iTunes side except the passcode thing, iTunes status:

Extracting software ->

Backing up iPhone 7 ->

Preparing iPhone for software update ->

verifying updated iPhone software ->

Updating iPhone software ->

verifying updated iPhone software(again)->

Updating iPhone firmware->

iTunes could not connect to the iPhone... , at the same time, "attempting data recovery" happened on iPhone side.

iphone7 attempting data recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.