Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search bar not working in messages on iPhone 7 Plus

I got my iPhone 7 Plus yesterday and I am running iOS 10.0.1.

When I am in my messages and I am trying to search in the search bar on top for a conversation I have with someone, it does not show any search results!

I tried rebooting the phone and even tried hard resets and it didn't help.

My wife has the iPhone 7 and her search function works just fine.

If anyone else has this issue and has a fix, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 12:27 AM

I have had this issue when I switched from iPhone 6sPlus to 7Plus and now the issue repeated itself when I switched from 7Plus to iPhone X.

I can’t search messages restored from backup. This same issue happened on my daughters phone.

I was able to solve it and want to share it.

1. Go to settings, then Siri & Search, then toggle off suggestions in look up and suggestions in search. Turn the phone off by holding the wake button and volume up button and then slide to off. Wait at least 2 minutes before turning the phone on.

2. After the phone is on go back to settings, then Siri & Search and turn the suggestion in look up and suggestion in search back on.

3. While still in Siri & Search scroll down to Messages. Click on it and turn Suggestion in Siri & Search to off.

4. Power down the phone and wait at least 2 minutes.

5. Turn the phone back on and open the messages app. Try to search for an old message. It will not work yet.

6. Go back to settings, then Siri & Search and scroll down to messages. Turn the Suggestions in Siri & Search for messages back on

7. Go back to messages app and try to search for old messages - it should work now.

Hope this helps some people as this has been an annoying issue for me.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2017 12:27 AM in response to Wintershade

I have had this issue when I switched from iPhone 6sPlus to 7Plus and now the issue repeated itself when I switched from 7Plus to iPhone X.

I can’t search messages restored from backup. This same issue happened on my daughters phone.

I was able to solve it and want to share it.

1. Go to settings, then Siri & Search, then toggle off suggestions in look up and suggestions in search. Turn the phone off by holding the wake button and volume up button and then slide to off. Wait at least 2 minutes before turning the phone on.

2. After the phone is on go back to settings, then Siri & Search and turn the suggestion in look up and suggestion in search back on.

3. While still in Siri & Search scroll down to Messages. Click on it and turn Suggestion in Siri & Search to off.

4. Power down the phone and wait at least 2 minutes.

5. Turn the phone back on and open the messages app. Try to search for an old message. It will not work yet.

6. Go back to settings, then Siri & Search and scroll down to messages. Turn the Suggestions in Siri & Search for messages back on

7. Go back to messages app and try to search for old messages - it should work now.

Hope this helps some people as this has been an annoying issue for me.

Jun 8, 2017 8:37 AM in response to Klaus21

Was there ever a solid resolution on this? This was from almost a year ago, and I now recently experienced it with my iPhone 6 -> 7 switch.

- I fully backed up my iPhone 6 to iTunes. NOT an icloud backup. Never had much luck with that, so I always prefer a solid, hard drive backup

- I restored the iPhone 7 to that backup.

The messages show up, but searching only gets me access to the new ones that came through the iPhone 7. The legacy iPhone 6 messages are not accessible via search. I rely on this heavily, so definitely not a good thing!

I tried all the suggestions on this post. I am currently on 10.3.2. Appreciate any fresh insights. Thank you.

Sep 17, 2017 9:38 PM in response to Klaus21

I have a same problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. It's really exactly same with the problem above. Now, it became worse. A searcheable range was narraowed down to almost 'a week' from 'days after restore'. I called customer service and talked to engineers but they keep saying they are working on it. They seem no interest in this old problem. My wife's phone(iphone 6Plus) has no problem even after the restoration from iphone 5

Nov 3, 2017 6:15 AM in response to Klaus21

This actually worked! Except it’s Settings>Siri&Search.

I turned it off and scrolled down to an off word in a text from a long time ago and then tried to search it. At first when I turned it off and on it didn’t work. But when I tried again and turned it off and then closed out of the Siri&Search and looked for the message it still wasn’t there. I then went back and turned it back on and closed out of Siri&Search and voila.

The take away is that it takes a minute to work. Hope that helps. I have an iPhone 7.

Cheers!

Dave

Search bar not working in messages on iPhone 7 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.