Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 7 camera very slow to capture

HI everyone. Got the iphone 7 256gb 1 week already. I find the camera focusing speed is acceotable but a tad slower than 6s. However what i find most disturbing is that after i press the shutter button it takesa very long time to capture the image resulting in missing the nice shot of my kidd or slightly blurry images. I compared it side by side with the iphone6 plus. Then 5s snd 5. Results were disturbing. Even my 5 of 4 years captured images faster overall with slower focusimg speed

Did a reset using itunes on pc snd clean install again and also using recovery as suggested by apple chat. Still the same. searched on youtube on speed tests and note 2 reports thatthe 7's canera is laggy. Anyone with issues? Is it hardware or software? please advise. Btw also on latest ios 10.0.1

iPhone 7, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 5:16 PM

35 replies

Jan 21, 2017 9:14 PM in response to Drjumbo

Thank you for doing that. I haven't had a good way of showing it. I've also reported it to Apple. I can't believe this goes unnoticed by so many people. I spent the afternoon at the park with my kids and while I got some great still shots, any moving shots were literally failures every time due to this issue.

TBH I'm not convinced the photo quality is much better on the 7 anyway in general, short of the really lower light shots.

Jan 22, 2017 9:26 AM in response to jntiphone

Their optical stabilization is so good that they pushed it to limits this time. iPhone 7 captures at the lowest possible shutter speed and that's the culprit. For static shots it brings out some of the best colours and low noise without artificial noise reduction which is clearly apparent on s7 (I'm using that too and pixel).

And the problem is not with hardware. Is purely software because apple chose to go for lowest possible ISO to keep noise to minimum as they don't implement too much apparent noise reduction to keep shots as natural as possible

I'm saying all this after extensively using Adobe LightRoom. There's no shutter lag after first click once app starts running. And you can easily increase iso to compensate for shutter lag. It works wonders. Now I hope apple fixes it soon.

What I would request is each one of us makes it a point to register a complaint with them by as many users as possible.

Jan 23, 2017 12:11 PM in response to Drjumbo

I could understand that logic in lower light. But in well-lit situations, it shouldn't be behaving like that, and I can't see why they would do that as there isn't near the need for noise reduction in good light. I also can't seem to pinpoint exactly what triggers the issue...

For example - daughter on a swing, full sunlight, etc... this problem rears its ugly head in the highest fashion... even if it happens to catch her face, it's very blurry.

But a different example - driving down the street, trying to take a quick picture of a sign passing by me. Sometimes this delay happens and it misses the sign (but is still a clear picture), other times it takes the shot instantly and captures the sign perfectly.

In other words, I can't figure out what type of motion is making it happen.

Jan 23, 2017 7:14 PM in response to Drjumbo

You're probably right, it's just very frustrating with kiddos... to the point where I'm close to going back to the 6S, as probably (rough estimate) 30% of the photos I take on my phone are when we're outside doing something active, and the 7's camera is almost useless in those scenarios. But in non-movement situations (or low movement) it can take some incredible shots.

Sep 28, 2016 4:57 AM in response to Jeffhotc

SO you know you're not alone I'm having exactly the same problem with the camera and its driving me crazy. Every day as part of my job I take pictures of dogs running about, so high speed action type photos. When I press the shutter the camera can take perhaps a full second before the capture...by which time it's all over or I get a pic of the dogs bum passing by! Upgraded to the 7 from a 6s specifically for the camera improvement, but right now it's all but useless to me. 😟

Sep 28, 2016 5:03 AM in response to My4paws

For its taking shots of my kids. Keep missing those csndid shots. I have also tested my friend's 7 side by side. slightly faster than mine. Yet on phonearena the 7 is benchmarked as fastest camera.

I have contacted apple and was told they will replace my unit. Great service from Apple. Hope the new unit will be ok.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarksUser uploaded file

Sep 30, 2016 12:52 AM in response to elcpu

JUst back ftom service centre contracted to service Apple products Here in singapore. Lousy and slow service. Apple phone in already said it is a camera hardware issue. yet this lousy place says nothing wrong. Replicated to them how ******** my camera was right before their eyes. Yet they can look me in the eye and say it is normal. So i asked if my 5s is way better than the 7? Aple is great. QCD in singapore is as ******** as my camera.

Oct 3, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Jeffhotc

I have exact same issue. Slow to focus, even slower to capture. And resulting either a miss or a blurred picture. Upgraded from 6s to this 256GB iPhone 7 and this is really disappointing. The most annoying part is that it's not too obvious like it's broken so I could take it to an apple store. But it's definitely happening... Please post if anyone got it resolved by any means.

Oct 3, 2016 7:34 PM in response to Jeffhotc

I have discovered something on looking at the EXIF data from photos taken on iphone 5s vs iphone in lower light conditions which accentuate the severe lag.

Iphone 5s: f/2.2, shutter speed 1/15 s, ISO 400, Ev 6.2

Iphone 7: f/1.8, Shutter speed 1/4 s, ISO 100, Ev 3.7

I realised the shutter speed is 4x slower as ISO is very low to reduce noise.

The real reason could be since the 5s and 7 have same sensor size the idividual pixels are bigger on 5s making it more sensitive to light so it can get by with shorter shutter speed and still get enough light in.

The longer exposure on the 7 is a compromise but ideal for lower noise but it results in blurry images. It has to be a balance but i suspect the less sensitive samller pixels cannot run at lower ISO. Apple has chosen to follow the pixel race but not increase the sensor size as evidenced by the low light performance from the 6 to 6s? I think they want to save on costs as perhaps they purchased too many 12mp sensors.

Sorry, I am not experience in any of these stuff and just a conjecture with no harm intended. I hope i am wrong but also right in that it could be solved by a software update to increase shutter speed slightly to reduce blur.

Yet i compared to my friend's 7 with no lag but have not done the above analysis.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 7, 2016 10:42 AM in response to Jeffhotc

To follow up...Well I called Apple and credit where it's due the service was excellent. I told them about the issue I was having and they agreed that it shouldn't be like that and asked me to return the phone by post to exchange it for a new unit. The exchange took only 3 days from start to finish by post which is pretty darn impressive. Top marks for service.

However the replacement is no better. This is clearly an inherent issue with all iphone 7's. It's just that most users who aren't relying on their phones to take action photos aren't going to notice the delay as I do in my daily work.

I've since reverted to using an iphone 6s ( which has no such issues with shutter speed) and am considering cancelling my contract and returning the iphone 7 as it really is a pointless upgrade for me when taking photo's is my main reason for having it.

Iphone 7 pictures are lovely...as long as the target isn't a moving one!

Is it hardware or software ??? That is the question. If the latter then I suppose there is hope for a fix. We just want it to work at least as well as our older phones.

Is anyone from Apple reading this?

Oct 7, 2016 7:40 PM in response to My4paws

THank you for the updates. Unfortunately in my country servicing and repairs are handled by a lousy third party comoany. They monopolised it and refuses to even exchsnge it when apple agreed to it. I showed my phone to my photographer friend and he says it is a phenomenon cslled Shutter button lag. He says it is complicated but says a software update can partially alleviate the problem. I have given the phone to my kid to play around and rrlied back on my 5s which is good and fast enough for me.

Iphone 7 camera very slow to capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.