Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will InDesign CS5 work with MacOS Sierra?

Has anyone tried to see if InDesign CS5 will work with MacOS Sierra? I have both Creative Cloud and CS5 on my machine but because of some of the stuff I have to work that only will work with CS5 to CS6 I have to keep my old software. I'm hesitant to upgrade to Sierra until I know if InDesign CS5 will work or not.

If any one has tested this, I'd appreciate the feed back, thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 5:59 AM

35 replies

Jan 11, 2017 12:15 AM in response to mariapinerosmurillo

Sorry to hear this Maria. Can you be a bit more specific? - I found that downloading/installing the legacy Java fixes 90% of problems. I still get the odd hang or crash on quitting, but not on saving (which was a problem before). As long as you save, then the rest doesn't matter.

By the way, I've migrated 99% of my work to Affinity Designer/Photo. I still need to open AI files in AI though, as the conversion is not perfect, so I'll keep CS for the time being.

Feb 9, 2017 6:18 AM in response to hval

CS5.5 was dropped entirely from Adobe support on 1/31/2014 and was never supported past 10.6 but I guess Apple doesn't bother to check Adobes website that lists the OS CS5.5 is supported in when the recommend the answer they choose.

I have deployed CS5.5 to about a dozen production Macs for a number of designers and even on clean builds the program can be far more unpredictable outside of the OS's it was slated to be used. Photoshop appears to be the most stable but InDesign and Illustrator can be finicky even with clean installs, full patches and the required 2015 Apple Java. Everyones issues are not the same and CS5.5 may work flawlessly for some users who's workflows do not require functionality that doesn't work for others.

Using the Adobe cleaning tool in conjunction with a new administrative account is one way to try and correct anything that might be correctible. A clean build of any OS past 10.6 and a clean install into an admin account is another way to present a platform with the best possible stability outcome with these unsupported products.

Adobe states on their website CS5.5 for Mac works in 10.5.8 or 10.6. It was never QC'ed by Adobe past those iterations of OS X and much of the framework for OS X appears to have changed considerably after 10.6.7.

Your milage may vary as one of my MCSE instructors loved to say.

Mar 24, 2017 5:51 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hi Jimmy

thanks for the post and it appears that you have done his a number of times so I was wondering.....

SInce I have installed Sierra and am using cs5 indesign, photoshop and bridge at the same time for a fair while I occasionally get the pinwheel of death and have to reboot... If i only use one or two of those applications simultaneously it seems to be ok. I have 8gb of ram and wondered if you have any recommendations for upgrading the ram or if my issue of slowing down and possibly freezing is not related to ram? ( I believe my mid 2011 iMac can go to 16gb ram)

thanks

Apr 11, 2017 6:59 AM in response to bhart62

Adobe CS5 (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) seems to work better for me on Sierra than El Capitan. No problems. I waited a while before upgrading because I was worried that it might not. Please note that I updated from a working El Capitan instance with Adobe CS5.

It appears that Sierra works better with an SSD drive than El Capitan did.

Macbook Pro (early 2011), 8MB Ram, SSD drive.

Sep 23, 2016 6:22 AM in response to bhart62

It really depends on what you are doing with it, and much of the framework has changes in the OS for how the application was designed to run in. Your workflow may present problems when the application works for others or you might be able to use it but keep in mind there is no longer any support for CS5 through Adobe or Apple so dont expect them to fix any problems you may uncover.

Sep 23, 2016 7:07 AM in response to bhart62

I can by no means guarantee what will happen for you, but my ID CS3 seems to work fine with Sierra. I use it only occasionally, so I don't depend on it like you and haven't tested thoroughly, but superficially it appears to work. I did have to install a legacy java app the first time I ran a CS3 app (Photoshop, I think,) but on launching Photoshop the system prompted me to do this and took me to the right place on apple.com to download what was needed -- quick and painless. Subsequently I've used InDesign, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver. So far, I haven't noticed a problem.

Sep 24, 2016 5:22 AM in response to Bayo30

Yes I updated. First I downloaded InDesign CS6 just in case CS5 wouldn't work. Long story short InDesign CS5 works fine (I had to install a Java update which it prompted me to do). It still crashes when closing InDesign (once in a while but it did under El Capitan also) but very usable.

Overall Sierra seems faster.

Will InDesign CS5 work with MacOS Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.