Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch won't unlock MacBook when it's docked

I have a mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro and an original Apple Watch, all on the latest OS.

When I'm using the laptop normally (i.e. opened) the Apple Watch will unlock it correctly.

At my desk I have the laptop in a Henge dock, meaning it's closed and I have an external display, keyboard and mouse. When it is in this configuration, unlocking with the watch doesn't work. I do see the "Unlocking with Apple Watch" message and the spinner for a couple of seconds and then it prompts me for the password.

Anyone else seeing this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 6:44 AM

26 replies

Sep 29, 2017 12:29 PM in response to sockethead

Just spent 3 days trying everything I could think of. My MacBook Pro worked just fine but my mini did not. I have finally narrowed it down to the usb monitor adaptor. With 2 screens plugged in it works just fine, when I plug in the usb monitor is stops working. There must be something related in the henge dock. What connections does it use for the monitors? I hope we find a fix because I was looking into getting the dock.

Nov 4, 2017 5:39 PM in response to sclinton13

TLDR = I have the same problem...its my DisplayLink adapter causing the Apple Watch unlock not to work.

Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2014 Triple Monitor User:

I am having the same problem. I have an OWC Thunderbolt Dock 2. I have one DisplayPort from my mac, one HDMI from the dock and a DisplayLink USB video adapter.

Had no problem with this setup on Sierra and Apple Watch S0.

Upgraded to High Sierra and now I get prompted for password and no auto unlock.

I got a new S3 Apple Watch. Same problem.

If I unplug everything from the MacBook works perfect every time (same with my MacBook Air).

If I plug in the DisplayPort and HDMI to the MacBook directly, works fine.

If I add the DisplayLink USB adapter, auto unlock stops working.

I checked over at the DisplayLink site and they have a 4.0.0 High Sierra driver, (http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos) however I already had that installed. There is also no mention of this problem in their forums. (https://www.displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)

Stuck...

Nov 13, 2017 12:44 PM in response to socket70

I think I understood what is going on. The Henge dock comes with white connectors and two of them are for the displays. But... those are not Thunderbolt connectors, but DisplayPort connectors and they create a problem with two monitors. They can be bypassed, the manual actually says to remove at least one for dual-display configurations. If you lift the black flap on the front of the Henge dock you will have access to the holding screws. Loose the screws that hold the two display ports. After removing the white connectors, attach the cable displays directly to the computer port (through the dock) and then tighten back up the holding screws. I hope it helps!

Nov 30, 2017 11:46 PM in response to socket70

Same issue here. I'm working with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1, my Apple Watch Series 3, my Henge Dock and 3 DELL monitors.

1 monitor is directly connected via HDMI, 1 through mini displayport and 1 through my CableMatters USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter in Black or White Video Adapter (SKU 103046 with latest DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for OS X and macOS 4.0.0 drivers).

My system works great but i can't unlock my MacBook with my Apple Watch if it's docked to all monitors.

When i disconnect the CableMatters Video Adapter, everything works fine and i can unlock my MacBook with my Apple Watch.

Without the monitors and undocked, the unlocking works perfect.

I think the problem is the CableMatters Video Adapter. But it works fine with macOS Sierra! After i upgraded to macOS Hight Sierra, the problem appeared.

Dec 9, 2017 3:48 PM in response to socket70

I have a similar issue -- I have an external Asus monitor (USB) and "Unlock with Apple Watch" will not work on my iMac when it's connected. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, "Unlock with Apple Watch" starts working again on my iMac. It's quite repeatable. I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (the problem is consistent with all versions of HS) and the driver for the Asus monitor was downloaded from the company's website.

Jan 2, 2018 4:10 PM in response to Spiritwolf-1

I'm quite certain its the USB DisplayLink driver that all these USB > HDMI adapters use that is causing the problem.

Here is a post from the DisplayLink forum:

Originally Posted by rbryant76 User uploaded file

Anyone having issues with Apple Watch not unlocking the system anymore?

When I have the device plugged in and drivers installed, Apple Watch can't unlock the Mac anymore.

Removing the device and installing drivers - Apple Watch unlocks fine....

Hi,

We haven't tried this directly, but what we know is that as soon as a virtual screen is connected to the graphics subsystem, macOS disables content protection from ALL screens.

This may include information potentially accessible through the AppleWatch security, it would make sense.

We have contacted Apple and this is apparently as designed. This in our opinion unnecessary: the internal screens support content protection and should be kept running as usual. We are also disappointed of course since we do support HDCP in our products and there is no way for us in macOS to offer content protection capabilities...

Anyhow, I'd suggest to open a bug with Apple about this issue: the more tickets, the higher the chances of changing the OS behaviour.

Regards

Carlo

Jan 10, 2018 7:03 AM in response to socket70

I have a USB C hub connected to my MacBook Pro. The only way the Apple Watch unlock works with the hub is by NOT using the USB 3 on the hub. As soon as I switch my external hard drive from USB 3 to a USB 2 port it works perfectly again.

Hope this helps! 🙂

By the way, I'm using a 15inch MacBook Pro with touch bar 2017, High Sierra 10.13.2 and my Apple Watch is Series 3 with Cellular.

Apr 19, 2018 9:44 AM in response to wwiaftm

Great hint! Thanks.

I had the same issue of Watch not unlocking a 13" 2015 MBP when the lid was closed and connected to external monitors. I have a USB Hub plugged into this set up also. I unplugged this hub and unlock works flawlessly. Interestingly, if I plug my USB mouse back in, unlock still works. So this is definitely an issue caused by having the USB Hub connected

Oct 25, 2016 12:29 PM in response to socket70

Same here, MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014 in Henge dock w/ macOS 10.12.1. Works when undocked, not when docked, though it has worked when docked in the past. My MacBook Pro Retina 13" Early 2015 at home works ok in its Henge dock.

I've tried enabling disabling handoff, airdrop, etc, etc, etc, as recommended, but since it works sometimes it's obviously nothing in my configuration.

Apple Watch won't unlock MacBook when it's docked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.