Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air won't shutdown correctly

I have a Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) running Sierra.

When I shutdown my computer it does not power off normally. I click on "Shut Down" from the Apple menu. The screen goes black but the backlight remains on and the lights underneath the keyboard stay on. It remains like this for over 20 mins before seemingly power off.

The only way I can get it to shut down normally is if I hold the power key down for 10 seconds. But that's not the normal way and it comes up with a message next time I boot saying it wasn't shutdown correctly.

I've upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra over the last day but it's made no difference. The problem has been going on for around 2 weeks. I've owned the laptop since new, about 1 year ago, and it's worked flawlessly until then.

The problem occurs regardless of whether the computer is connected to power or running on battery. I have not modified the computer or used new hardware since the problem occured.

Any help would be appreciated

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 1:19 AM

Ok so I managed to resolve this problem based on helpful information in another thread (macOS Sierra has a serious issue that needs to be addressed soon)

The issue is that if you have MySQL running on startup, Sierra can't shutdown, presumably because it can't stop MySQL process(es) from running.

The way to fix this is to go into Preferences > MySQL. Un-tick the option which runs MySQL on startup automatically. You can also manually stop the process in your current session but when I tried that my Macbook froze.

Restart your Mac. Next time you shut down it should work normally.

There seems to be a serious issue between Sierra and MySQL here. You shouldn't have to stop/start MySQL manually; and this will be extremely tedious for developers like myself who use MySQL daily. Apple - and if necessary Oracle - should work on addressing this together.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2016 1:19 AM in response to afoote6

Ok so I managed to resolve this problem based on helpful information in another thread (macOS Sierra has a serious issue that needs to be addressed soon)

The issue is that if you have MySQL running on startup, Sierra can't shutdown, presumably because it can't stop MySQL process(es) from running.

The way to fix this is to go into Preferences > MySQL. Un-tick the option which runs MySQL on startup automatically. You can also manually stop the process in your current session but when I tried that my Macbook froze.

Restart your Mac. Next time you shut down it should work normally.

There seems to be a serious issue between Sierra and MySQL here. You shouldn't have to stop/start MySQL manually; and this will be extremely tedious for developers like myself who use MySQL daily. Apple - and if necessary Oracle - should work on addressing this together.

Nov 4, 2016 7:39 AM in response to afoote6

Hi there,

So do you have MySQL Server installed?

I do and it's set to start at login, so I found out after updating to Sierra that it was MySQL causing this issue.

If you do have MySQL you can try this:

Go on System Settings > MySQL > Stop MySQL Server

If it takes a long time to Stop, then the culprit is the same.

I fixed it going on MySQL website and downloading the latest MySQL Server available (downloaded the dmg that contains an installer).

The latest version is working fine.

$ mysql -V

mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.16, for osx10.11 (x86_64)

I had 5.7.11

Cheers

Nov 4, 2016 7:43 AM in response to afoote6

The solution to this of upgrading MySQL works however when I did this I was shocked to find my databases appeared to be missing. Help on fixing that is provided here: http://victorfont.com/recover-mysql-tables-after-upgrade-osx/ although you will need to substitute the version numbers to whatever you have installed.

In Terminal run:

$ cd /usr/local

$ ls -l

You can then see the appropriate directory names (the names match the version numbers so make sure you use the appropriate one for the "new" and "old" versions):

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 4 Nov 11:59 mysql -> mysql-5.7.16-osx10.11-x86_64 drwxr-xr-x 13 root wheel 442 4 Nov 12:14 mysql-5.7.16-osx10.11-x86_64 drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 4 Nov 11:59 mysql-5.7.9-osx10.9-x86_64

Macbook Air won't shutdown correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.