Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

captive.apple.com is preventing me from connecting to my wifi

When I attempt to log into my wifi connection, a program called captive.apple.com opens that is a blank window and only allows me to cancel which will return me to wifi login. Can not find anything about this issue anywhere. Can anyone help?

iPad, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Sep 24, 2016 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2017 12:00 PM

Following my previous submission

I need to add to the following to say what I have tried.

I have rebooted the iPad.

I have reset the network settings.

I have put it in airplane mode.

I have forgotten the internet.

The wi-fi we are connecting to is unsecured but the iPhones can still use it.

I have deleted safari history and website data.

It seems that apple captive may be a virus. Is it?

When you forget the network settings and put the iPad in plane mode and reboot, and then it turn it back on, it still remembers the password to connect to the internet. How does it do that if you have deleted the settings. As I said please help.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2017 12:00 PM in response to ghoster21

Following my previous submission

I need to add to the following to say what I have tried.

I have rebooted the iPad.

I have reset the network settings.

I have put it in airplane mode.

I have forgotten the internet.

The wi-fi we are connecting to is unsecured but the iPhones can still use it.

I have deleted safari history and website data.

It seems that apple captive may be a virus. Is it?

When you forget the network settings and put the iPad in plane mode and reboot, and then it turn it back on, it still remembers the password to connect to the internet. How does it do that if you have deleted the settings. As I said please help.

Sep 26, 2016 3:30 PM in response to Relay1

Hi Relay1,

Thanks for posting on the Apple Support Community! I understand you're having trouble connecting to your Wi-Fi network. I use Wi-Fi all the time to stay connected, so I can understand wanting to make sure your Wi-Fi is working. I'm happy to help!

Based on your description of the address that you're seeing, it sounds like the Wi-Fi network you're trying to connect to is a captive network, meaning that you need to provide additional log-in information in order to connect. If this is your home Wi-Fi network, you may want to contact your internet provider for help with updating your Wi-Fi network settings. You can find more information about captive Wi-Fi networks here:

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you've confirmed with your internet provider that everything is set up properly, I recommend to follow the steps outlined in the article below:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

Take care!

Mar 3, 2017 11:38 AM in response to Diana.McCall

My wife's iPad will not connect to the internet where we are. Both iPhones connect to the same internet.

The iPad problem seems to be caused by this apple captive. It popped up on a message on the iPad before we were aware of the issue. Now the iPad appears to be solidly connected to the wi-fi system and safari starts to connect then failsUser uploaded file to a blank screen saying too many redirects. Nothing on the iPad will connect to the internet even the App Store ywill not connect.

Please help. I cannot even connect to load an anti-virus.

Mar 3, 2017 11:25 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I will answer the questions as follows.

The network did not require any special terms. We were given three different passwords for the three devices we have. The two phones connected and are still connected.

We are not using a special DNS or other special device.

By unsecured I mean there is no WPA protection on the connection so we are careful in how we use it.

If I put it in plane mode safari says "no internet connection." if I reset the network, reboot iPad clear safari history etc then turn every on safari says "too many redirects "

Dec 21, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Relay1

Hi I believe we had the same problem, if what you are referring to is when you try to connect to wifi; a screen pops ups saying connect to captive apple and wants a username and password. Our solution was to call our cable service and they told us to simply check our router. So we did and that was the problem. Most likely if you get this your power strip is turned off or a cord is unplugged on your router, thus somehow affecting your wifi. Check to see if anything needs to be turned on or plugged in. Hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2017 2:23 PM in response to ghoster21

Hi. As I described here Re: captive.apple.com is preventing me from connecting to my wifi, captive.apple.com is a URL that returns a minimal text page. It is requested when connecting to WiFi and is normally cancelled and not displayed. You saw it because you were not connected to the internet when connecting to WiFi. And somehow, you still have a doubtful internet connection. Does the network require you to accept terms, etc. from a web page before connecting (a captive network)? Are you using special name server (DNS) settings, a VPN, or any other special device? You mentioned that the iPad remembered the password to connect, but also said that the connection is unsecured. Which is it?

Mar 12, 2018 9:14 AM in response to Relay1

We are a school having the same problem. We have our firewall configured to block access to users and devices under different circumstances. Turning off auto join for the wireless network seems to work. We don't have a captive portal but iOS devices think we do. This article may help, Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Dec 27, 2017 7:22 AM in response to Relay1

Problem: Every time I attempted to connect with my iPhone to the secure WPA2 Netgear wi-fi router, I was stuck at captive.apple.com. This was after a recent factory reset of the Netgear router which had a default IP: 192.168.100.1/24.

Solution: I connected a laptop with ethernet to the router and was immediately prompted to enter the administrator credentials. Once provided, Netgear firmware announced to gain internet access, the IP range of the LAN has been modified to: 192.168.1.1/24. This was because the Spectrum cable modem was issuing a single IP of 192.168.100.1. Fixing the problem required knowing the router admin login and changing the LAN/WAN address.

Feb 9, 2018 8:58 PM in response to Relay1

This just worked for me. I connected my laptop by wire to my extender and reconnected to my base router. You may or may not be asked to sign on to the extender as admin with the default or self-set password. If this fails the first time, disconnect the wire and reconnect then open you browser.

captive.apple.com is preventing me from connecting to my wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.