Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random screen flickering while watching videos.

So whenever I go to watch Netflix or Youtube, the video will play fine, but about 30 seconds after it playing, it flickers the video across the screen or dims for a second or two, and then go back to normal. This issue started happening when I upgraded it to OSX Sierra. I wouldn't find this a big deal if it only happened once or twice, but it happens every 30-60 seconds on Netflix and youtube. I tried restarting my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with no luck. So, does anyone think they have a potential fix to this? (P.S. Yes everything is fully updated)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12), Early 2015 edition

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 1:43 PM

I fixed the issue by turning off Hardware acceleration in Google chrome browser.

Open Google Chrome, and click Customise and Control GoogleChrome > Settings > Show advanced settings. In the System section, uncheck the box next to Use hardware acceleration when available, and restart Google Chrome.

I cant understand how but the flickering/flashing also stopped happening in safari after this.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2018 1:43 PM in response to Awesomedude415

I fixed the issue by turning off Hardware acceleration in Google chrome browser.

Open Google Chrome, and click Customise and Control GoogleChrome > Settings > Show advanced settings. In the System section, uncheck the box next to Use hardware acceleration when available, and restart Google Chrome.

I cant understand how but the flickering/flashing also stopped happening in safari after this.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Oct 1, 2017 12:53 AM in response to basge123

I have contacted Apple by phone and they say "we don't know anything about problems like you describe". I think that's a little arrogant and to easy. I have a 2000 dollar laptop which cannot playback Netflix normally. It's unacceptable, I thought that it was fixed by resetting de NV ram with the support engineer by phone but a few minutes later the problem seems to persist.

On Monday I will contact Apple support again because I won't accept this.

May 20, 2017 8:46 AM in response to Awesomedude415

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with the same issue. It happens in Chrome and flickers the screen when I play any video on Facebook, Youtube or Netflix. I have to close the browser and restart it to get rid of the flicker. It happens intermittently. My only solution is restarting the browser, but I'd love to hear of any solutions that actually fix the problem. Thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 11:44 AM in response to Awesomedude415

I have a macbook pro 13.3 2017 with Touch Bar and I am encountering the same issues with the green artifacts / screen flickering when using Netflix full screen. When I have the cursor on top of the control bar of Netflix, the flickering stops.

Using firefox isn't an option because full screen leaves me with the dock that stays visible in my screen....

Very weird issue, I am on High Sierra.

Oct 1, 2017 11:38 AM in response to basge123

I also have problems with my MBP and flicker in both iTunes and Netflix and tried getting it repaired during the warranty and got the logic board exchanged & whiped the whole system without effect. Contacted Apple Support and got the same reaction as you "we have not heard anything about this problem before". I were insisting and they looked through my log-files and did not find anything. After a some discussion back and forth they came to the conclusion that the problem must be in the OS because they couldn't locate it anywhere else, and because of that it is my own responsibility because I chose to update. And to add to that they suddenly did know about the problem, they had heard of several with same problem and I should just keep updating then it would be solved in the future (no timehorizont could be given).

so all I can say is good luck fighting with Support. 😟

Jan 21, 2018 10:42 PM in response to grpires

I have this problem and I have a brand new MacBook Pro 13" no Touch Bar that I bought like two days ago... it only happens in iTunes and QuickTime though, so it seems to be a localized Apple problem for me. I downloaded VLC and now I am able to play my videos. It's odd though because iTunes will play the movies I've bought through apple with the flickering but nothing else. Hmm.

Random screen flickering while watching videos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.