Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit invitation failure

I've got homekit working on my devices. I invited my wife - the notification pops up, but when we go into the home app, and homes, what's there is "My Home (Guest)" with a spinning wheel.

On her iPad, it has the correct home name, on her iPhone is has the default name - both as Guest and both with the spinning wheel.

I have tried:

1) Canceling the invitation

2) delete the spinning home

3) Reset her icloud keychain

4) hard device reset

5) restore the device from backup (Apple's typical default troubleshooting step).

The last resort is to try setting up the device as a new device - except that I'm 75% sure this is borked data in her iCloud account. I've already wasted a day on #5, and don't want to go down the new device road if I can avoid it.

Any ideas?

[I'm getting *really* sick of 'restore from backup' and 'setup as new device' as the sole troubleshooting options apple provides. If iOS is that fragile, then they need to spend some of their billions on a serious rearchitecture]

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 5:33 PM

43 replies

Dec 16, 2017 9:59 AM in response to lhotka

Updated a test iPad Air to 11.2.1and signed in with my wife's account XXXXXX@mac.com. Updated my Apple TV 4K to 11.2.1 and signed in with my hosting iCloud account. Inviting from my iPhone 7 Plus running 11.2.1 still fails. My wife is part of my hosted iCloud family and has the following registered with iCloud:

XXXXXX@mac.com

XXXXXX@me.com

XXXXXX@icloud.com

When trying to invite any of the above addresses, I'm seeing this error message:

"Invitation Failed

Could not invite 'XXXXXX@icloud.com' because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud"

A dead giveaway that the e-mail address will fail is that they are greyed out in the invitation send window. I believe any good addresses (registered with iCloud) will appear as yellow or gold in color.

I'm only using iDevices to control Xmas tree lights. I received the following from iDevices about the issue yesterday:

"Thank you for contacting the iDevices Customer Experience Team! Unfortunately, this issue is with Apple's HomeKit platform. Recently Apple did find a security flaw with iOS 11.2 and disabled some sharing features. Apple did resolve this issue with an iOS update, released yesterday, this may help with the issue you are experiencing."

Apparently iDevices thinks it's fixed in 11.2.1. I'm thinking something is still broken in iCloud, iOS 11.2.1 or both. If anyone has any other recommendations, I appreciate any further thoughts.

Jul 17, 2017 7:11 PM in response to Livewire_eh

And to clarify... the invitation is sent (status "Invitation pending" / received "notification received" / accepted "Clicked 'Accept'") and status _NO_LONGER_ has "Invitation pending". This implies to me that the invitation is "Accepted".

However, on my wife's phone (after accepting the invitation), we see the "spinning wheel" along with a "1" in the upper left corner (after killing the 'Home' app) which indicates an invitation is still pending.

Seems like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Oct 12, 2017 2:10 AM in response to Livewire_eh

I tried then to not accept the invite, then i canceled the home in my wifes home-app. then u can resend an invation, after many restarts. but that didn't change anything. On my appletv i logged out, but that changed nothing. then i deactivated the home in my wifes icloud-account and resend an invation, but nothing changed. i always get the spinning ball ...

Nov 30, 2017 2:37 PM in response to lhotka

Same problem here. After seeing how clueless Apple Support is about this issue I am beginning to question my dedication to the Apple product line. I have always justified the added expense for anything Apple (or Apple related) by reasoning that they do such a great job in suport, but they have really dropped the ball on this one. I have probably spent around 20 hours on this so far, doing everything listed above but still no resolution. They promised to call me back again today but I am not optimistic.

I did have one bit of succes. I created a new Apple ID on my wife’s old iPhone and successfully sent an invitation to my phone. I accepted the invitation and homekit sharing is working between those two phones. When I tried the reverse, sending the invitation from my IPhone to the old IPhone, I am unable to send the invitation, the error message says ”could not invite xxxx@icloud.com because the apple I’d is not registered with iCloud, even though it is registered. I’m starting to think that the problem is probably some little inconspicuous data bit that was part of some app’s setup routine that will never be found by trial and error. The solution my be to totally wipe both devices and start from scratch - or take the easier/cheaper way out and visit Alexa.

Dec 11, 2017 7:38 AM in response to nomad84

Thanks for the link, however it states the following: "The issue affecting HomeKit users running iOS 11.2 has been fixed. The fix temporarily disables remote access to shared users, which will be restored in a software update early next week". Most of this thread speaks to users not being able to invite users at all or some variation which does not appear to be covered by the pending fix. Obviously it is possible that it will, just don't have my hopes up considering many of us have seen this issue prior to 11.2. We will see...

Dec 12, 2017 4:15 AM in response to jarrodbcall

My understanding is that the vulnerability was fixed by making changes at Apples end, which is having implications on the whole system, regardless of what OS people are using.

If that is correct then the update should fix it at the user end, allowing Apple to put things back how they were their side. If that's correct then it should fix this issue.

I could be wrong though. 🙂

Dec 13, 2017 8:34 PM in response to Treebs17

I’ve been having similar problems. Made sure all devices were updated, but no luck. Read a different post where someone mentioned that they had the other account send an invite to a different home with no accessories. Once that was accepted they were then able to turn around and send an invite from the primary account for the main home. Gave it a try and sure enough it worked. Had to do it for each account I wanted to share with and then go back through those and delete the new homes created on each.

HomeKit invitation failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.