Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swimming workout miscounts laps and distance

HI there ...

I have the new Apple Watch Series 2. I swim laps in our indoor community pool twice a week, and I've used the new Watch while swimming twice now. Both times the Watch gets the laps and distance wrong. Here is some more detail:

Our community pool is 25 yards long - we double-checked this by measuring it ourselves. I use the Pool Swim workout.

The first time I used the Watch, I swam 44 laps, which is 1100 yards. The workout app reported that I had done 62 laps, and 1550 yards.

The second time (today), I swam 50 laps, which is 1250 yards. The workout app reported that I had done 80 laps and 2000 yards.

I always swim the same way - 1 lap breast stroke, 2 laps side stroke, 1 lap back stroke. Then I repeat. I do not flip turn.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2016 9:14 AM

Update: With more swimming, the lap count seems to get more accurate but still off. I kept reading online that the new watch had been tested by many swimmers, and they say that the lap count has been very accurate. When I look at my daily swim results, something was not adding up. The calorie count seemed good and comparable to the Speedo Fit app (which I used before the new watch). It was the lap count and the total yards for each swim session that was always wrong. So yesterday, I changed the pool length to be equal to a full lap length of a pool swim (the sum of the two lengths) -- finally, the lap count and total yards was correct by the end of my swim session. The lap count was off a little in between my short resting periods, but correct at the end. The total calories was roughly the same as before, which implies that the watch does not rely on either the lap count or yards for that calculation. Hope this helps!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Michelinas

Update: With more swimming, the lap count seems to get more accurate but still off. I kept reading online that the new watch had been tested by many swimmers, and they say that the lap count has been very accurate. When I look at my daily swim results, something was not adding up. The calorie count seemed good and comparable to the Speedo Fit app (which I used before the new watch). It was the lap count and the total yards for each swim session that was always wrong. So yesterday, I changed the pool length to be equal to a full lap length of a pool swim (the sum of the two lengths) -- finally, the lap count and total yards was correct by the end of my swim session. The lap count was off a little in between my short resting periods, but correct at the end. The total calories was roughly the same as before, which implies that the watch does not rely on either the lap count or yards for that calculation. Hope this helps!

Oct 3, 2016 2:06 PM in response to RoseMJ

When in Pool Swim, my screen is locked with the blue water symbol at top. So the only way I can access the screen is pushing the button or turning the crown. I don't have that problem you describe. If you don't activate the swim activity, the screen is NOT technically locked but the general advice is that the screen may not be as responsive to touch senses/gestures when it gets wet. If you want to jump into the pool to relax and not do laps, you can water lock the screen by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and clicking on the water symbol.

I typically swim just freestyle, although yesterday, I added two additional laps to my workout using a different stroke at the very end, and they were properly recognized/counted. At the end of each leg, may turns vary so there was no impact there on the lap count.

I also didn't have the issue of missed laps, it was always too many laps. The Apple Watch algorithm must have an issue depending on the pool length you specify versus what it tracks. Like Siri, maybe the watch improves the accuracy as you use it more. The first time I used it, it counted 15 more laps than what I actually did, but then again, was it really full laps when I only entered one pool length for the pool length (especially when the total yards was about half of what it should have been).

Jan 30, 2017 10:08 AM in response to AubrieJJohnsln

All I know is the pool has two lengths which should equal a full lap -- the Watch should be specific as to what you enter: pool length or pool lap. As suggested by Apple Support, the way you swim affects the actual lap count; which I don't think it should because if you provide the length/distance framework of your pool, it should have a better algorithm to get the lap count to be more precise. Last year, my watch only accurately counted my laps three times (for the last three months I started using it for swimming -- all freestyle). At least it seems that the calorie count seems to be less questionable. I've used other apps where you enter the data as well as some swim sensor devices and I prefer the Apple Watch.

May 29, 2017 1:24 PM in response to deggie

tl;dr: Interval training is probably bad for measuring

Thanks for the review link.

I swam 17.5km so far with the Apple Watch 2, and the counting and lap times were imho quite reliable.

Today, I started to do interval swimming and some kicking drills. As a result, my AW2 reported I would've done 1200m with 3 of the 100m-laps (in a row) finished in less than 1:10. That would be jawdropping.

Actually, I swam 1000m plus maybe 25m "chilling" in the end - and my fasted lap was around 2:18.

All in all, today's results were kind of scrambled - and that's quite annoying.

Another thing I noticed:

The first 100m lap is always (i.e. 12 of 12 times I used the AW so far) about 20s faster than the rest of the laps (whose times are far more equal to one another). However, I don't feel that difference when I swim. That's why I'm not counting it for a "fastest lap". Did anyone else notice this?

Jun 4, 2017 8:30 AM in response to RoseMJ

Did anyone ever feel no a fix for this? I tried Apple support, and they didn't help at all. They suggested it was because you glide for the first couple meters when you push off from the wall. But given that every swimmer does this, you'd think they would have taken that into account in the program. I've tried shortening the length of the pool by a couple meters on my watch, which helps get the count closer to accurate, but still not perfect.

Jul 5, 2017 7:18 AM in response to RoseMJ

I did my first swim workout today and for the first 3-5 laps I found that the watch wasn't counting laps properly. However, after a few laps I noticed that each time I did a turn it started recognizing the turns correctly and I believe I ended-up with the correct number of lap counts at the end of the workout.

Here are some assumptions for the initial miscounting:

1) Since this was the first swim, maybe the watch needs some calibration time to assess my stroke type, stroke length, etc. plus how I turn to determine the proper lap count. Around lap 10 I started looking at the watch at the end of every lap and it was counting laps correctly, ended-up doing about 51 and the total length tracked at the end seems about right for the pool length and my usual average time to cover a lap, so I think while it was showing incorrect laps at the beginning, it seems to have corrected / adjusted some time during the workout.

2) During the first laps I glided a lot as I was doing fairly strong strokes (i.e., covered length of pool with less strokes), so I wonder if the watch has a harder time determining distance covered as I was doing less strokes than what would be expected for the pool length (since the watch doesn't use GPS to determine distance when doing a pool workout).

3) Not sure how Apple counts distance covered or how they determine if a lap has been completed. I would assume some element of acceleration, velocity is determined using the watch's sensors and then they probably make assumptions based on your height, weight, gender to determine how much distance you covered based on those parameters (average displacement for a stroke, length of stroke, number of strokes, etc.). For pool counts they are probably comparing their assumption of distance covered with a detection of change in direction, or the fact that you might have stopped momentarily as you turn to a new lap. So, in other words, there are a lot of assumptions going into those calculations and I wouldn't expect them to be completely accurate, but to stay relatively in the ballpark of the actual number of laps, calories used, etc.

I will have to try again later this week to see how the watch behaves and if it needs that initial calibration for the initial laps.

Sep 27, 2016 11:02 AM in response to RoseMJ

My understanding is that if you are doing any other stroke beside freestyle, you will get an inaccurate reading. Just like if you did a kick set, it won't even pick up the yardage as you are not moving your arm.

If you found any additional information when talking to support, please let the community know! I am sure a lot of swimmers (like me) would love to know.

Happy Swimming!

Sep 27, 2016 2:53 PM in response to Michelinas

I think the swim app is supposed to deal with any strokes, plus my problem is that it's counting too many laps. Maybe it is somewhat related to strokes, who knows.

But I did get with Apple Support, and they took the problem seriously. They took a lot of diagnostic information from my phone/watch, and they are going to analyze it and get back to me. I'll definitely add anything I find out here. Especially if it's something that can help other swimmers! 🙂

Swimming workout miscounts laps and distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.