Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 7 sounds muffled

I upgraded to Iphone 7 from 6. When I am using the speaker on phone calls it is muffled. It doesn't matter if I have a case on or not the call quality to the other person is severely muffled on speaker. Without the speaker on, they said it is clearer. Is there a way to fix that or is it problem with the phone?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 11:15 AM

17 replies

Apr 30, 2017 2:25 AM in response to FlaMomma2

Anyone still experiencing this issue?

When talking on my Sprint iPhone 7+!im told I'm miffled and people say they have trouble hearing me.....Jud tricked up an S8+ and not expericing this issue now, I've brought my phone back to sprint and they said my microphone had lint, etc... Didn't solve the issue!!!

When to apple and the Genius Bar, failed mic test but cleaning up speaker grill, mic test passed. Still have distortion while talking...

Sep 29, 2016 9:29 AM in response to FlaMomma2

I had this problem. Having researched on the web and contacting apple support I tried all of the other suggestions you have received.

The problem is the microphone on the back of the phone to reduce backgound noise. I switched this off and everyone says that I sound clear (as if I'm standing next to them).

To switch off - settings / general / accessibility - scan down to hearing section and switch off phone noise cancellation.

Oct 13, 2016 9:11 PM in response to rjb200

I actually tried multiple things (called applecare, reset phone, turned phone on and off) with no luck and had researched all day long and found nothing about it.

Right before I was about to do a return and replace for my iPhone 7+ through apple, I did exactly what you're suggesting, BUT with one SMALL tweak, and it FIXED the PROBLEM.

Turning off the Phone Noise Cancellation switch ONLY, didn't work for me, I had to to turn on the Hearing Aid Mode switch as well.

ATTENTION!!!! IF YOUR IPHONE SOUNDS MUFFLED OR HURTS YOUR EARS EVEN, DO THE FOLLOWING:

Go to Settings / General / Accessibility / Hearing Devices / - and turn on the Hearing Aid Mode switch, which then turns off the Phone Noise Cancellation switch.

This worked for me! 🙂

Iphone 7 sounds muffled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.