Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Camera Auto White Balance Problem

Hi guys, got my new iPhone 7 and had been shooting lots of photos with it. I noticed that all my whites in my photos appear yellowish and sometimes yellow in my photos can appear either white/or with deeper shades of yellow. I had attached 2 photographs I took of a white wall at my office. 1 was captured by immediate shot in the camera app while the other one was shot after making the camera go off focus. Not sure if this is a software issue with the Auto White Balance of the Camera app or a hardware defect. Hope to hear some advice from the community!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 9:27 AM

28 replies

Feb 4, 2017 9:40 AM in response to fateloop

I'm having a problem using the 7plus to take pictures for my online product listings. Blues come out with a black tint and whites come out gray using soft boxes that are supposed to have 5500K which should equate to natural light. I already bought one kit i'm willing to buy another but I believe it's actually the phone's white balance. I tried moving the light boxes to different angles and changing distances with the phone but still having major issues. My crappy S4 took better pictures.

Feb 25, 2017 11:35 AM in response to fateloop

Yes I have noticed this problem immediately after I purchased iPhone 7 the second day after its launch in market. The last iPhone I used is iPhone 5 which means the difference between their white balance shocks me even more! iPhone 7 often unnecessarily shifts its white balance to either extremely warm and yellow or unnaturally cool tone, right opposite to the actual environment tone. Maybe it's caused by Apple's so-called update in their camera and the use of "white gamut" technology, it updated its hardware while failed to coordinate its algorithm.

May 1, 2017 3:10 PM in response to fateloop

I know thread is a bit old but still relevant. I have an iPhone 7 Plus which I bought in Feb 2017. Last evening, after doing some yard work, I noticed some of our desert plants had grown large, tall spikes with brilliant white flowers poking up into and thru the large tree out front. I of course had to take a picture. The key to this photo was the brilliant white flowers poking thru the green of the tree. I later looked at the photo on my iMac and was disappointed at how the brilliant white flowers were a subdued yellow. A quick iPhoto edit with a slider to make the picture cooler fixed things up but really the whole reason I bought the Plus was the excellent marketing Apple did for its camera. Now I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed.

Oct 3, 2017 1:36 AM in response to DanCampbell

I am raising the same concern with my iphone 7 as it has a yellowish display and it changes to white. It seems that there is an auto balance when taking photos. My iphone 6 does not have that kind of "problem". I hope apple will resolve it as well as the screen display with the same concern where iphone 7 users have to fix the hue contrast just to have a better display like the previous iphones.

Oct 3, 2016 9:16 AM in response to Llxstr

I do agree the photos from iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are warmer and has a yellow cast. However, shaking the screen or making the camera go off focus can actually get close to the actual colors though the photos still look brighter than they should be. Hoping it is a software issue with the auto white balance algorithm and not a hardware defect.

Let's help to keep this discussion active so more iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus users can come forward to present their findings and get the Apple Support to look into this.

Oct 13, 2016 11:04 PM in response to fateloop

I noticed the same in several iPhone 7 devices, and opened a support case with Apple on 9/22. Issue is pronounced with warm (2700-3000 K) lighting, and worse with LED light sources.

If I flip the phones around and use the front-facing camera, white balance is consistently excellent (similar to 6, 6s plus, etc.) I'm also holding out hope that it is just a software issue w/auto white balance that only affects the rear camera, and not h/w.

Apple engineers said that there was no other report similar to this when I contacted them, so please feel free to open a support case and let them know. The more reports they receive, the sooner it might be addressed.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2016 11:18 PM in response to DanCampbell

Thanks DanCampbell,

That's exactly what I am experiencing right now too. I tried with several other iPhone 7 devices owned by my friends and had the exact same situation as what you had described.

Hoping it is a software issue too and not hardware. I had submitted a bug report on this via Apple Bug Reporter on 29 September 2016. Is that the same as opening a support case?

Oct 13, 2016 11:50 PM in response to fateloop

Thanks Fateloop!

I'm not sure how (or if) Apple prioritizes bug reports vs. individual support case vs. Enterprise support. Though now that you've brought it up, it probably would have been smart of me to open an issue w/Enterprise support instead of my personal account since we've also seen the issue on every 7 we've tested it on. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Have a great week(end)!

Oct 14, 2016 1:59 PM in response to fateloop

Thanks!

Since you're in the 90-day window of unlimited phone support for the iPhone 7, you can submit a case at https://getsupport.apple.com/, where you'll get the options for chat or various telephone support choices). I don't know if these are handled differently than bug reports (I've never filed one), or if Apple would/could correlate your previously-submitted bug report with a support case.

If your company has an Enterprise Support plan (AppleCare for Enterprise), your IT folks can open an issue w/Apple's support team. I asked our helpdesk team to open an issue since we are seeing the same problem on all devices here.

iPhone 7 Camera Auto White Balance Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.