Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save file dialog does not pick up name.

Hi!

I have updated 5 macs in my household to Mac OS Sierra. Mac Mini, two Macbook Retina and iMac 5K. None of them is able to pick up existing filename when trying to save a file. I used to be able to click on a file on my drive and it input the filename in the save dialog, but input field just remains empty and I have to write the filename manually. Really frustrating when working with revisions and you just want to change the last number in the filename.

Anyone else experienced this and maybe have a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 12:13 PM

16 replies

Mar 9, 2017 9:51 PM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

Tom Sommerseth1,

I noticed it has been awhile since you last posted, and I was curious if this has been fixed in an update for you or not? The reason I ask is because I don't seem to be experiencing what you are when I try to test this. I am running the latest available version of Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32). I apologize for the quality of my gif screencast It is my first time making one.

Best of Luck,

westongallagher

User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2016 12:23 PM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

Your post provoked me to try this using two different applications (Apple's Pages and MacOS' Preview). In both cases, when I opened an existing file, its name appeared at the top center of the window. Further, when I did a "Save" or "Save..." that file name was presented as the default name; in other words, a save would simply overwrite the existing file.

The behavior you're describing clearly depends on what application you're using. You did not specify what application that might be.

Sep 27, 2016 12:49 PM in response to sberman

Hi! And apologies. Did not know a question like this could provoke...? Anyway, it happens in every application where the standard Mac OS dialog is present. Sketch, Preview, Pages, Photoshop. Not application related. It does not pick up the name and does not allow me to save over it.

If anyone else has experienced this and have found a fix I am happy to receive a helpful answer.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Sep 27, 2016 2:09 PM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

It all works fine for me.

Consider this sequence of four screen shots related to opening my file named "Carole" using Preview:

1. I open the file.

User uploaded file

2. The file name appears at the top of the window. There is a drop down arrow next to the file with additional options which may be used in a "Save" context. (I am not addressing this drop down arrow at all in this discussion, but perhaps it has options you would like.)

User uploaded file

3. I choose "File > Save ..." from Preview's menu.

User uploaded file

4. By default, the current file name "Carole" appears in the "Save As" box. I did not type that name.

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2016 1:55 AM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

Thanks, this has been driving me nuts and really effected my workflow. Being a graphics professional I use thumbnail view A LOT and picking up the filename for save is a shortcut that has been present for as long as I remember! How did they miss this? At least I can use this workaround for now. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed sooner rather than later.

Oct 4, 2016 5:06 PM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

Just want to add a note of thanks, Tom. I've been trying to think of the best way to phrase a Google search to find the answer to this issue (I'm a graphic designer, too -- where's the love for your traditional user base, Apple?!) and finally stumbled on the right words that threw up this page.

I thought it was a bug and have been waiting for another OS update but I guess it's just a "feature"... and a strange decision at that.

Oct 12, 2016 7:02 AM in response to Tom Sommerseth1

I want to thank Tom for opening this issue and for the other fellow Designers with whom I share the same frustration with this workflow. It makes no sense to have 3 ways to view files in a folder, and not be able to use the same action no matter if I am viewing as thumbnail, list or any other view type. Poor UX/UI analysis from the team.

I too thought this was a bug... And also hope they fix this issue. I am really frustrated with this and thinking to roll back to El Capitan but I am not so sure if I really should do it. But there are still too many bugs for me in Sierra to keep ignoring them and wait for a fix...

Save file dialog does not pick up name.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.