Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office 2008 not working after MacOS Sierra Update

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem that I've noticed over the past couple of days. I recently updated to MacOS Sierra and have not been able to make Microsoft Office open. Each time I click on any office program I get the message "Microsoft Office cannot open because of a problem."

I have a late 2012 MacBook Air with 128GB hard drive and 31GB of free space. I have never had an issue with Microsoft office until now. I have tried everything I could find online to fix it; Safe Boot, trying to delete auto recovery, restarting and shutting down my Mac. I am wary of uninstalling and then reinstalling as I am not sure I have the code I used to install it in the first place. I have some knowledge of computers but I cannot find a solution.

Any help you could give me would be awesome!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 28, 2016 6:21 PM

17 replies

Sep 29, 2016 10:16 AM in response to eabolt

Restart in Safe Boot mode. This process disables the Microsoft fonts. If Word works in Safe Boot, then we can look at repairing your fonts.

Safe boot

* shutdown

* start the Mac and *wait* for the startup chime to sound

* after the sound, press and hold down the shift key

* keep holding and *wait* until the grey  Apple logo appears

* now release the shift key and just wait (it could take a few minutes)

* eventually the login screen appears with the words SAFE BOOT in the top right of the window

* continue to login to see if the problem goes away.

You do know that Office 2008 is "end of life". Microsoft does not support Office 2008. Office 2011 support ends October 10, 2017.

If you only need Office for one computer, you can buy the subscription for approx "$50/year. Yes, I hate subscriptions too, but if you buy to own, you no longer get upgrade discounts and since Office 2011 is nearing the end of it's life it's just doesn't make sense to buy it now.

Nov 2, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Waynedrach

i'm considering to upgrade to Sierra

so i phoned Apple Support today Nov 2, 2016 to ask if Office 2008 would work ok

and they said there was a patch

for Office 2008

only i had to contact Microsoft to find it

i phoned Microsoft 1-877-696-7786

Microsoft says they no longer offer support for Office 2008

anyone have an idea how to resolve this catch 22 issue ?

my Office 2008 is an Educational Version

`

Nov 2, 2016 1:00 PM in response to summer_laughter

Are you fully updated to v12.3.6? If not update. I do not recommend using Entourage since it will not include security features needed to connect properly to your accounts, but Word, Excel and Powerpoint should work OK.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Service Pack 2 (12.2.0) (requires 12.1.0)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17575

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.6 Update (requires 12.2.0)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36897

Nov 2, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Csound1

Seems Office 2016 is having serious problems also

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-2016-for-Mac-macOS-Sierra-potent ial-crash-issues-cd853ada-1414-4ed3-a4c9…

Office 2016 for Mac, macOS Sierra potential crash issues

Applies To: Excel 2016 for Mac Outlook 2016 for Mac PowerPoint 2016 for Mac More...

Last updated: October 2016

Issue

Apple released macOS Sierra on 9/20. We recommend customers in a workplace or school network configuration do not upgrade to macOS Sierra at this time. This is because some customers are reporting Office 2016 for Mac applications are closing unexpectedly, or crashing, on macOS Sierra. Microsoft is working with Apple to resolve this issue.

To check if your network configuration may be affected,

1. Go to System Preferences and open Network.
  2. Click on Advanced and go to Proxies.
  3. Check if “Auto Proxy Discovery” or “Automatic Proxy Configuration” is turned on.

Turning off “Auto Proxy Discovery” or “Automatic Proxy Configuration” is a possible workaround, if allowed by your organization’s network configuration. Contact your local network administrator for more information on your network settings.

We will update this content when more information is known, including a fix or additional workaround.

Microsoft Office 2008 not working after MacOS Sierra Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.