Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alarm not playing some songs in iOS 10

Hello

I am having a weird issue in the latest release of iOS 10 (on an iPad) where I select a certain song in the stock Clocks app to play as an alarm, but it defaults to the "radar" sound. This does not happen with all songs but it happens with a few consistently. Anyone else experiencing this and any solutions? Thanks for your help!

iPad Air, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 9:13 PM

21 replies

Jan 29, 2017 10:20 PM in response to raina_b22

Becky,

Can you shed some more light on this issue? Is there any solution yet? This is a common occurence on iPhones of all models and it has happened for a while now on a few of my friend's phones, as well as my wife and my phones.

Essentially, when you pick a song to use as an alarm, just as we used to, it now defaults all of those songs to the default "Radar" tone sound, even though your songs ARE, in fact, downloaded to your phone's hard drive (NOT in the cloud because we don't use Apple Music and can confirm the songs are on our phones), even when we pick a new song from the internal storage of the device itself, it still plays the default "Radar" sound instead.

This is clearly a glitch and has been going on for a while now. Any fixes yet?

One more thing to note, it is possible that the transferring beteeen phones after purchasing a new phone and adding those same songs back into the library caused and issue because the checksums of those two files (where the ringtone was searching for the song and the new song downloaded to the phone) are different and that is confusing the device.

Please note, this is no simple user error navigating the settings and menus. I am a power user and this issue cannot be resolved without intervention from Apple. Please pass this on to your superiors as it is a real problem.

Jan 10, 2017 9:33 PM in response to dwr130

I have the same issue with a brand new iPhone 7 running iOS 10.2. Have tried all the various fixes in this thread and others including deleting all alarms and starting over AND erasing iPhone and restoring (which at least fixed the problems I was having with maps!).

Like others in these fora I'm frustrated because the default alarm doesn't wake me up as well, I use some songs as daily reminders so I need distinct songs that are not annoying, and it is unpredictable which songs will or will not work but so far the ones that don't work are the ones I want/use the most. There is no discernible (by me, it could be there, I just can't see it) pattern to which songs will or will not work so I'm finding things out by trial and error as the alarms fail since I don't have time to test every song in my iTunes database to find new ones!

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating that there is a green check mark by this discussion suggesting that the problem has been solved when it clearly has not been solved!!!

May 9, 2017 12:30 PM in response to dwr130

Hi guys. So I was having the same issue, extremely frustrating that Apple hasn't actually solved the problem but has marked this thread as solved. I actually got results by turning off my phone completely and turning it back on again, then setting a new alarm with my chosen song. Unsure if that will be a universal fix or not, but it worked for me.

Jun 30, 2017 8:56 PM in response to dwr130

Go to the music app. Play your chosen song and turn up the volume using the keys on the side of the phone. Then go back to the alarm clock, adjust the ringer volume. Then select your song and adjust the volume of the song. You should be good now. It seems that the music volume can only be adjusted using the music app. This solved it for me.

Oct 2, 2016 6:56 AM in response to dwr130

Hello dwr130,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that after installing iOS 10 on your iPad, when you select a certain song to Clock app to use as an alarm it defaults to the radar sound. This isn't happening with all songs, but it happens with a few very consistently. I can understand wanting to use numerous songs for your alarms, I do this as well on my iPhone.

It sounds like the Clock app isn't responding like it should. I suggest to go ahead and force close the Clock app, and then set a new alarm and test with these same songs again. The following article will help: Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know how it goes.

Have a great day!

Oct 3, 2016 6:38 AM in response to dwr130

Hello dwr30,

Thanks for trying that step.

We would like you to make sure that the song you are using for an alarm is downloaded to your device. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, please use Add music from the Apple Music catalog to your Library . specifically, these sections:

How to download music to listen to offline

You can download songs, albums, or playlists to your device so that you can listen to them when you're not connected to the Internet.* You must download songs, albums, or playlists on each device that you want to use for offline listening.

In the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or in iTunes on your Mac or PC, find the song, album, or playlist that you want to download. Then:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Tap Download User uploaded file.
  • On your Mac or PC: Click Download User uploaded file.

If you don't see User uploaded file or User uploaded file, you need to add the songs, albums, or playlists to your Library first.

View only downloaded music

If you want to see only music that's downloaded to your device, follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: In the Music app, tap Library > Downloaded Music. A message that says "Showing only music on this [device]" appears at the top of the screen. Tap Library in the upper-left corner to see all of your music.
  • On your Mac or PC: In iTunes, click Library. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose View > Only Downloaded Music. Choose View > All Music to see all of your music.

Have a great day!

Oct 18, 2016 3:33 AM in response to dwr130

I am having this same problem since the iOS 10 update - several custom alarms keep playing "radar" instead of the song selected. These songs are all iTunes purchases downloaded to the phone - i even tried deleting the file and redownloading the songs without any effect. I've also tried deleting the alarms and creating new ones but got the same Problem with the same songs. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Alarm not playing some songs in iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.