Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Requires a Newer Version of Apple Mobile Device Support

I recently had an issue with iTunes not recognizing my iPhone, so I reinstalled the latest version of iTunes on my PC. Since then I have now been getting this error:

iTunes requires a newer version of Apple Mobile Device Support. please uninstall both Apple Mobile Device Support and iTunes, then install iTunes again.

I followed these steps, only to get the same error. I then stopped Apple Mobile Device Support in services, manually deleted the files in c:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache, the repaired the install of iTunes and restarted the services, only to get the same result.

I am using iTunes 12 and Windows 10.

Would love to be able to sync my phone again.

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 4:39 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

See iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows if the device won't connect to iTunes after reinstalling.

tt2

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2016 4:39 PM in response to sixfoot10

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

See iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows if the device won't connect to iTunes after reinstalling.

tt2

Oct 1, 2016 5:05 PM in response to sixfoot10

To clarify, i did a complete uninstall, in the order provided, and deleting the listed directories. I then reinstalled iTunes and error occurred again. I then did another full uninstall and extracted the installer and added them individually. I then got the error message that Apple Mobile Device Support could not be configured and that no changes had been made.

I saw your comments in another link about problems installing this .msi (Cannot install Apple Mobile Device Support) and followed those to, with no success.

Oct 1, 2016 5:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Installing service pack did not help.

The older video card doesn't make sense. iTunes will install and work perfectly fine, except for recognizing the iPhone, which it would do about a week ago. It is only AMDS that is having an issue. Also I have a fairly new graphics card (AMD Radeon R7 370). I will give it a try though.

Would rolling back to an older iTunes help?

iTunes Requires a Newer Version of Apple Mobile Device Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.