Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Apple Mobile Device Support

My iphone couldn't connect to the itunes on my PC (Windows 8, 64bit). I tried to reintall intunes several times but the problem couldn't be solved. Later, I found out that AppleMobileDeviceSupport64 did not intall with itunes. I extracted the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64 from iTunes64Setup and tried to intall the file alone. But still didn't work. 😟

Here is what it said:

"Apple Mobile Device Support wasn't installed on your computer."

"The installer encountered errors before Apple Mobile Device Support could be configured.

Your system has not been modified. To retry these operations at a later time, please run the installer again."

I also tried the method below. But still didn't work. 😢

http://randomwindowstips.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/windows-7-itunes-9-software-is -not-installed/

I'm dying. PLEASE HELPPP!! THANKsss!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on May 9, 2014 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2017 1:38 PM

i was also dying. i couldn't get anything to work for my IPhone6 for days. till i tried the link you put up this work for me. the first time it did not work as i installed it completely. so i tried it a gain and this time i checked iTunes every time i installed each download. this time it worked. i did not finish the entire installation. by checking after each down load it bugged out the problem by itself. mine ended up being a corrupted driver. hopefully this work for anyone in the same situation.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2017 1:38 PM in response to Youshigi

i was also dying. i couldn't get anything to work for my IPhone6 for days. till i tried the link you put up this work for me. the first time it did not work as i installed it completely. so i tried it a gain and this time i checked iTunes every time i installed each download. this time it worked. i did not finish the entire installation. by checking after each down load it bugged out the problem by itself. mine ended up being a corrupted driver. hopefully this work for anyone in the same situation.

May 9, 2014 5:35 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi, thanks for the replay!!

I have done those methods shown in your link many times and it still doesn't work. I removed itunes and all other apple related software "step-by-step". After rebooting the laptop, I reinstalled itunes. I had to unzipe the iTunes installer and reinstall Apple Mobile Device Support alone since it failed to install properly. I saw a roll back action during the installation and at the end AMDS was still not installed.

Here is what it said:

"Apple Mobile Device Support wasn't installed on your computer."

"The installer encountered errors before Apple Mobile Device Support could be configured.

Your system has not been modified. To retry these operations at a later time, please run the installer again."

When I connected my phone to the computer and opened the itunes, it shows "This iPhone cannot be used because the repuired software is not installed. Run the itunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes." I guess I will never be albe to use iTunes on my pc.😟

May 20, 2014 4:41 AM in response to turingtest2

I don't know about Youshigi, but I have been deleting and reinstalling everthing to do with itunes, carefully following the instructions provided, at least weekly ever since the itunes 11.1.4 disaster, and installing Apple Mobile Device Support still gives the error message above. I had high hopes of version 11.2, but it's just the same.

Simply deleting and reinstalling over and over again is no answer. Is there no expert with a better idea? Or do I have to buy a new pc?

May 23, 2014 8:10 AM in response to turingtest2

Sadly, this proved as futile as everything else I've tried - and in exactly the same way. As part of the itunes package (after, obviously, following your instructions in every detail) AMDS installed (as far as I could see from the installation box) virtually all the way, and then rolled back without comment. Installed on its own from the .msi file, it installed and then rolled back and generated the usual message: "The installer encountered errors before Apple Mobile Device Support could be configured".

My belief remains that the process of removing 11.1.4 damaged something, somewhere. I've run chkdsk and scannow, neither of which show a problem.

Presumably, there is something in Windows which records (or could record if asked) what's going on during an installation, which would allow an expert to see what goes wrong and where. My best offer, looking at the Event Viewer log for when AMDS was (not!) installing, msiInstaller generated a series of warnings each time. Most were "The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key..." followed by an address, and one at the start each time said that "...feature 'SoleFeature' failed during search for component...". But I'm not really sure what to look for or competent to understand or deal with it.

I don't usually let myself be beaten by the computer - and I don't often give up. But this looks increasingly hopeless!

May 23, 2014 10:17 AM in response to Notsof

If you want to generate log files try one of the following commands. These have both the .msi files and the output logs located at the root of the C: drive but you can edit the paths to taste. The second option switch is slash el star vee and generates a verbose output log.

msiexec /i "C:\AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" /l*v "C:\Log_AMDS.txt"

msiexec /i "C:\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi" /l*v "C:\Log_AMDS64.txt"

tt2

Jun 11, 2014 10:11 AM in response to turingtest2

I finally got round to this. The full log is 1.29 MB, and I do not have the expertise to interpret it. On the off chance, I searched through it for "error". At the start, it recorded a number of processes that it couldn't shut, all the way through there were instances of "won't patch; no existing file", and after 25 seconds or so there was a series of error messages, which, if I could've worked out how, I would have pasted in here. It then tried to roll back. It also doesn't seem to be possible to attach the log... I assume there's a way of doing both that I have't found.

Notsof

Jun 11, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Notsof

I'm not certain that I'd know what to look for either. 😟

If you open the log in something like Notepad++ that can handle large files you should be able to copy out a few snippits that you think might hold useful clues..

There was a new build of iTunes (11.2.2) on May 28th so have you been using that installer or an older one?

There is a chance that you can use the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility (AKA MS Installer "Fixit") to force through the installation of the .msi.

tt2

Cannot install Apple Mobile Device Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.