Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 home button noise

All of the sudden, My home button is starting to make an odd, hollow tinny noise when I press it, almost like an echo inside the phone. Anyone else having this issue?

It's definitely not the intended noise apple added to make it seem more like a button.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2016 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 3:47 PM

You have described the problem perfectly :) thats what is happening with my iPhone, except i can reproduce it easily in 30 seconds by setting the Home haptic feedback to 3 and smashing Home. Note that setting it to 1 (lowest) almost fixes the problem. It still happens, but Its more quiet and more rare. Still freaks me out everytime it happens :( good luck with your iPhone

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Glocksocks

You have described the problem perfectly :) thats what is happening with my iPhone, except i can reproduce it easily in 30 seconds by setting the Home haptic feedback to 3 and smashing Home. Note that setting it to 1 (lowest) almost fixes the problem. It still happens, but Its more quiet and more rare. Still freaks me out everytime it happens :( good luck with your iPhone

Jan 2, 2017 2:36 PM in response to zooyorker999

I had an iPhone 7 32GB which never did this and just upgrade to an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB that does do it. It freaked me out the first time it happened, thought I might have just pressed weird or something so didn't worry about it. Then it happened again the next day so started to analyze the situation. I would have to press the home button hundreds of times to duplicate the issue so it would be impossible to take it in for service. I actually did a hard reset on the device yesterday and has been perfect till about 20 minutes ago. Was in the car and it happened again. It's like I can feel a weird haptic vibration, like a short vibration haptic response, not the normal haptic for clicking the home button and I can hear it across the entire device like towards the top, it's a springy type noise... It's like it shorts out for a very brief period of time and then back to normal. Other than that, my phone functions just fine, and to be honest, I had 3 different iPhone 7's and found weird issues (but not this issue) with every single one. I'm probably the most OCD person in the world mind you. I was shocked others were having this problem, so, I'm guessing it's a weird hardware thing but a very very very small chance it will matter to the life of the device.

Jan 2, 2017 4:02 PM in response to Bartrpol

Hmmmm... Interesting! I got it to do it like 3 more times on same setting and then it stopped doing it. Just tried on level 3, wouldn't do it either. LOL, so random. Honestly, I do not think this is a hardware thing. I believe it's SW. Most people wouldn't even notice this. Super picky people would and I'm one of those. I'm going to do a reload from recovery mode this evening and leave it on level 1 to see if that resolves. Will update you.

Jan 2, 2017 5:52 PM in response to Bartrpol

Just restored from recovery. Went to town on home button on 1 2 and 3 levels, no malfunctions. But, as I stated, I couldn't get it to do it on demand like you can. Mine was very very random. Going to leave it on level 1 moving forward and will update in two days if no malfunctions or before if anything else happens. System restore from recovery mode might be the ticket as it actually installs a fresh copy of IOS. Fingers crossed but have decided I won't spend any more time on this issue, even if it starts doing it again as it's just one of those things, nothing is perfect, not even Apple products. It will be a daily reminder that Jesus is the only perfect thing to rely on, I rejoice in any flaws I find in material things 🙂 🙂 🙂

Jan 4, 2017 6:37 PM in response to Glocksocks

I haven't noticed the issue anymore after doing the restore from recovery mode. I have kept it on level 1 for the two days though. However, I did swap to level 2 and 3 and went to town and couldn't get it to do it. Noticed the lock screen phone sound cuts off and sounds funky twice today and haven't noticed that before but not concerned at all about that. So, I can officially report the restore resolved the issue. But you must restore from recovery mode which is a clean install of the OS. Hard reset did not work as I tried that. On another note, I was using a magnet mount in my car which requires a metal place behind my case and I also discontinued the use of that. I really doubt that's what was causing it, but, possible. I also have an Apple Watch, which I've been using the entire time. Let me know if anyone else tries this resolution and if it works. Good luck!

Jan 26, 2017 10:02 PM in response to Ellyhale

I have the exact same problem. I've soft reset my phone, hard reset it, and nothing has came to fix it. Sometimes when I click the home button, there's a haptic misfire. The vibration feels different and it sounds like a metal noise inside. It happens at random, sometimes multiple times in a row. I'm very OCD and this is a big problem to me. I know the phone shouldn't be making this noise. Has anyone contacted the apple store about it? I'm afraid that down the line this will lead to larger problems, but I will try to take it to the apple store as soon as I can.

Jan 27, 2017 7:37 AM in response to jaureandy

Yea, I had a plus that was doing this and had to finally exchange it for a new one. It's definitely a defect, I have verified that and is not normal. My new one hasn't had one issue with this. But, I'm also cursed with OCD. I will find something wrong with anything and have already found a new defect in my brand new iPhone that's not related. At the end of the day, I wouldn't swap it for a new on because of the haptic misfires. Since you know that other people do experience the same thing, and it is soooo unlikely this will be an actual problem. I finally just started saying, as long as the thing can accomplish the task needed, who cares if it's a little different than other ones. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, being one that swapped it out and found something else that bothers me even more! haha! Hope this helps!

Feb 26, 2017 4:45 AM in response to nkc.jmi

What do you mean by recycled the power of your phone?

And as a question to everyone else: Mine has the same problem? Should I take to Apple or the place I bought it or something? It annoys me soo badly, also because you pay so much money for a device, and for me, it is very important that everything then works perfectly.

Mar 6, 2017 12:23 PM in response to signemp

I've been having the exact same problem, took it to apple a couple days ago and showed them the springy sounds...they said it could be the screen and processor itself, so they could replace it for me..

I didn't have time to wait for them to fix it, so was going to go in today, however it stopped last night! Phone ran out of battery and turned completely off, I waited about 30 mins (not on purpose) before I charged it to full battery again and the noises have completely stopped! I'm going to wait a few days to see if this fixed the problem before going back to apple to complete my repair...

May 30, 2017 1:36 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I have had my iPhone 7 plus for 8 months now, and it has started doing exactly what you described.

A high, bright noise, as if an internal part were loose, causing a "tinny" sound with each depression. "Cling-clack".

A soft restart fixed it for me, but I get the feeling this problem will resurface...

Thank you for first articulating the issue.

Jul 4, 2017 3:59 AM in response to zooyorker999

Hi! I have the same problem. Almost the same problem. After i take the finger from home buton i can hear a noise in my speaker. Im not talking about the vibrating taptik thing. It is a noise in the speaker. It sounds like a click but it is not realy a click. This sound it was not present before 10.3.2 update. Could be something wrong in the update? My phone is new from the box. Today is the third day im using it.

iPhone 7 home button noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.