Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to switch on iPhone 7 camera shutter sound

how to switch on iPhone 7 camera shutter sound ?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 10:47 AM

I'm a bit late as I just got a new iPhone7 and no longer had a shutter sound compared to my old iPhone5s. I read this thread and two things fixed my iPhone7.

1. Switching "OFF" the "LIVE" camera. But this still wasn't enough.

2. Going to "Music"; playing a song and turning up the volume. My volume was down, almost off.

BTW, turning off "sound & haptics" did NOT turn "on" my camera shutter sound.

L-2 on 3/21/17

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2017 10:47 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I'm a bit late as I just got a new iPhone7 and no longer had a shutter sound compared to my old iPhone5s. I read this thread and two things fixed my iPhone7.

1. Switching "OFF" the "LIVE" camera. But this still wasn't enough.

2. Going to "Music"; playing a song and turning up the volume. My volume was down, almost off.

BTW, turning off "sound & haptics" did NOT turn "on" my camera shutter sound.

L-2 on 3/21/17

Dec 11, 2017 3:32 PM in response to KH Loh

Without a doubt, this is flawed UI design. It should be simple to both turn on/off the camera click and adjust its volume while in the program or via a simple toggle setting in "Settings." Instead, Apple has made this – which one would likely want adjust on the fly – unnecessarily complex.1. The camera click sound is OFF when in the LIVE MODE and it is ON in the LIVE OFF MODE. There is no way to change those settings. To adjust the volume you must use the MUSIC volume control, not the RINGER volume control. (confused yet?) To access the MUSIC volume control while using the camera, swipe up from the bottom (probably taking several unintended photos as you go) and in the middle of the right side, you will see a black and white volume control identified by the little speaker icon in a vertical rectangle. Bring the slider up for more volume and down for less or to mute. I don't really know what to do if you want to hear music at one volume and the camera click at another because they seems to be married in this disaster of a scheme. If anyone else knows another way to control these functions, please post. Otherwise, prepare to be fumbling with screen controls when you want to be taking pix silently (or not) and/or hearing music.

Dec 11, 2017 4:20 PM in response to Amaronee

Thanks. That does work. I must have accidentally touched the live button, which cancelled the sound. Also this explains why I suddenly had a moment of video before each photo, which is a fun feature, thatvdoes gonaway with the click sound restored. I agree that there had to be a better way to control the sound, clearly within a programmer's wheelhouse.

Oct 6, 2016 1:30 AM in response to KH Loh

hi Jonathan, I found the problem already. when the camera is in "live photo" mode, there will be no shutter sound except in normal photo mode. This took me many hours to discover it. I have been a Blackberry and Android user for many years. Earlier i used iPhone 4 for few a few months only. Thanks, Cheer

how to switch on iPhone 7 camera shutter sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.