Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How are "Moments" defined in Photos for Mac?

Having used the "Photos" album view (top left) to label descriptions and locations, I can see the benefits of this view.

Is this the same as "Moments" in iOS? It certainly seems to have the same purpose.

Also, what are the parameters to define the "moments" on my Mac? It seems to group photos by time and/or location but I can't work out exactly what rules it is applying (and this becomes relevant where I might want to group photos together)

Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12), + iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Air 2

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 1:20 AM

20 replies

Oct 6, 2016 2:34 AM in response to thombirch

They are not all grouped by the same date though. There are some multiple groupings on the same date, usually split by location (which is logical) but also sometimes by time (e.g. some morning photos are grouped together, as are some evening ones). It's those parameters around time and location which I am curious about- i.e. what rules are applied to group the photos.

Oct 7, 2016 1:23 AM in response to Old Toad

I have photos in my library from more than one device - and therefore at the same time in different locations - and Photos is grouping them altogether despite being at different locations.

My preference is to separate Photos by location and time, but as the Photos view is chronological presumably time is the priority rule.

I'm still not clear what rule it is then applied to time - some collections of moments are over two days, others are only a morning (despite all being at the same location).

Oct 7, 2016 1:50 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

In my Photos library I am seeing, that Moments will be split in two, if the locations are separated by a large distance and there is a temporal gap of a few hours. Occasionally a moment will contain photos taken on two successive days, if I stayed in the same city. Moments that are longer than a day seem to be new in macOS Sierra. I did not notice this before.

The moments will always be split, when the photos have been taken in different states, even if the country and date are the same.

For example, on my flight to Mexico I took these photos from the plane. The temporal gap was not large, but the photos have been taken over different states of Canada and appear in separate moments:

User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2016 2:11 AM in response to léonie

Looking closer, the moments stretched across two days are misleading: It may be caused by seeing the dates with the system time set to my current time zone GMT+2.

For example - all photos in this moment have been taken on the same day in Mexico, February 21, the first photo early morning, the last late at night. But viewed with the system time GMT+2 the late is listed as February 21 and 22.

User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2016 2:22 AM in response to léonie

My situation should be more straightforward than yours léonie, as I'm based in the UK where we have the same time zone (so time zone shouldn't be a significant issue).

The only exceptions are when I go on holiday but this is relatively easy to manage as there is a defined time period I'm away from the UK and those photos are rarely mixed with different time zones.

Because I have photos from more than one device/family member in my library, I'm getting moments bunched together in different UK locations when I think they should be separate (as they are - in UK terms - relatively far away). Presumably this is because Photos doesn't want to break its chronological order and, if it split out photos for every different location, then it would be displaying multiple moments. Instead it appears takes a call to group together all the photos, say in a morning, even if they are from three or four different locations.

Oct 7, 2016 3:10 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Are the photos taken by family members tagged with gps? If they have been taken far away they should be separated. Without GPS Photos will put them into the same moments as photos with a similar date and time.

I used brute force to get the photos taken by others into separate moments - I set the date of photos shared by others back by 1000 years. They appear in a different part of the moments, but I can always tell the correct date.

Oct 7, 2016 5:06 AM in response to léonie

Yes they all have GPS and I've just been through the painstaking process of adding GPS to photos where there was no location.

I even have this issue with photos taken on the same phone. For example, I have a number of shots in the day in London, and then a single shot from 120 miles away that evening. All photos are grouped together in the same moment with two locations listed.

I actually think Moments is a good addition to Photos but, as with much of Photos, it doesn't quite work 100% how one would expect it to.

How are "Moments" defined in Photos for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.