Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accountsd wants to use the "Local Items" keychain

Since updating to 10.12.1 my Mac is constantly asking for - accountsd wants to use the "Local Items" keychain - I put the correct password in, it goes away and then comes up again randomly through the day.

This issue wasn't there after the initial Sierra update, only after the most recent update.

I've read others with the same issue and the only answer I can find is to logout of iCloud and then log back in. I've done this. It seems to be occurring less often, but is still happening....

I am the only user.

Anyone have a solution for me please!!

Thanks

Posted on Oct 26, 2016 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 5:31 AM

After updating my Os to 10.12.2 I started getting pop ups like this also. "Help" was of little help and I sent feedback. But I did use the link in the Help box to open my Keychain. There, I noticed that iCloud keychain was locked. So, I typed in my password THERE, instead of in the pop up dialogue box I'd never seen before. I felt that was safer. After that, I was able to click Cancel in the dialogue boxes (both of them) and they closed. (Previously when I clicked Cancel, they refused to close which made me think it was a virus.) Hopefully that will resolve the issue. At least the dialogue boxes closed and I'm getting my mail.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2017 5:31 AM in response to RonEdwards

After updating my Os to 10.12.2 I started getting pop ups like this also. "Help" was of little help and I sent feedback. But I did use the link in the Help box to open my Keychain. There, I noticed that iCloud keychain was locked. So, I typed in my password THERE, instead of in the pop up dialogue box I'd never seen before. I felt that was safer. After that, I was able to click Cancel in the dialogue boxes (both of them) and they closed. (Previously when I clicked Cancel, they refused to close which made me think it was a virus.) Hopefully that will resolve the issue. At least the dialogue boxes closed and I'm getting my mail.

Apr 10, 2017 5:55 PM in response to John Galt

I have the same problem and the only answer I would be tempted to try is yours (the earlier one using terminal has typos in it, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of blindly typing into terminal when errors are present) - but I have no idea what you mean by "in accordance with that document" (there is no "document" involved) nor "credentials" or "services".

Aug 18, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Mikey_Byte1

I did this and deleted two folders with names like that and rebooted. Unfortunately, I was still asked for a password for spotlight service this time. Each time it seems to be a different service and each time it seems to want my iCloud password as opposed to my machine password. I think this started happening when I did a 10.11 update and was notified my machine and iCloud passwords could no longer be the same. It seems keychain should only want my machine password, but I am not sure. Still searching for a solution to this. It started happening t me on 10.11 and still now on 10.12.6

Aug 18, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Brandon Svec

Update: After a short panic and searching for file recovery tools I realized my keychain should've been stored in the cloud. I went to settings > iCloud and checked the keychain box and after authenticating all my passwords, credit cards, autofill, etc. are back.

Moral: Beware and be careful. I should have known better to rename or move those folders before just rm -rf -ing them..

Aug 30, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Mendoza1809

Go to Spotlight Search and type in 'terminal' and then open that Terminal application that pops up. This app allows you to access the underlying operating system that OS X is based on (UNIX) in a shell window. You will only ever need to use this when troubleshooting annoying pop ups like this one.

But beware and read this thread as you may end up losing any saved passwords with the above solution that is proposed. I'm having this same issue as well and trying to figure out a better way to handle it.

Aug 30, 2017 1:29 PM in response to diazk27

Yes, do proceed with caution. I would back up the folder before deleting it and also make sure all your keychain stuff like browser passwords, autofill and credit cards, etc are backed up to iCloud. You can see my previous posts to see how i solved the issue and got lucky figuring out how to restore from my iCloud keychain. I made the mistake of just following the instructions that supposedly solved the issue and was cursing myself when I saw I lost all my saved passwords, etc.

Oct 27, 2016 5:52 AM in response to RonEdwards

I ended up having a local tech support company come out. They actually used one of the solutions that had been listed here in the Community. It worked for me:

1. Open terminal
  2. cd ~/Library/Keychains
  3. ls
    1. When you 'ls' here you will see a folder that contains a bunch of random number liks so:
    2. 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464 (this number is unique on each system)
  4. rm -rf 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464
  5. Reboot
  6. <when you log back in everything should be back to normal>

accountsd wants to use the "Local Items" keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.