Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail quit unexpectedly on Mac

My Mail app started behaving strangely so I deleted my Hotmail account vis System Preferences then added it again.

But now the app keeps quitting unexpectedly. As it starts up it is trying to sync 100's of emails from my account then after around 20 seconds it quits.

I have sent numerous error reports to Apple and updated to Sierra but it still won't work

THANK YOU!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 7:35 PM

Hey there, marisavillaret!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I understand that your Mail app keeps quitting unexpectedly on your MacBook. I rely on e-mail every day, so I know how important it is for the app to be working. I'm happy to help!

Try the following steps, in order, testing after each.
  1. Quit the Mail app, then reopening it while holding the Shift key on the left-hand side of your keyboard.
  2. Restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu and selecting "Restart..." from the drop down.
  3. Test to see if the Mail app quits in safe mode. You can get information on safe mode, including how to boot to it, in this article: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Even though the title of the article isn't the same issue as what you're experiencing, safe mode is still a great step to try--it will run a scan of your system during boot, and will then disable certain software and processes that could be causing a conflict with your Mail app. Open the Mail app in safe mode, and see if it quits. Make not of the results, then restart the computer and try opening the Mail app again.
  4. Test the Mail app in a new user account. The following article provides information on why testing in another user account can be helpful, as well as walks you through how to set up a new account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Have a wonderful day!
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2016 7:35 PM in response to marisavillaret

Hey there, marisavillaret!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I understand that your Mail app keeps quitting unexpectedly on your MacBook. I rely on e-mail every day, so I know how important it is for the app to be working. I'm happy to help!

Try the following steps, in order, testing after each.
  1. Quit the Mail app, then reopening it while holding the Shift key on the left-hand side of your keyboard.
  2. Restart your Mac by clicking the Apple  menu and selecting "Restart..." from the drop down.
  3. Test to see if the Mail app quits in safe mode. You can get information on safe mode, including how to boot to it, in this article: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Even though the title of the article isn't the same issue as what you're experiencing, safe mode is still a great step to try--it will run a scan of your system during boot, and will then disable certain software and processes that could be causing a conflict with your Mail app. Open the Mail app in safe mode, and see if it quits. Make not of the results, then restart the computer and try opening the Mail app again.
  4. Test the Mail app in a new user account. The following article provides information on why testing in another user account can be helpful, as well as walks you through how to set up a new account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Have a wonderful day!

Oct 28, 2016 7:58 PM in response to marisavillaret

Do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mail crashing

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

Oct 28, 2016 7:58 PM in response to marisavillaret

Hello !

Please click on go to go library and type ~/Library see internet Plug-ins , input methods , Launch agents folder are empty .

Also clear contents ( you can use command + A to select , command + Delete to delete ) of folder caches , cookies , saved application state into the trash .

Restart and empty the trash .

Please follow the article : macOS Sierra: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly

I hope so it might be help out .

Thanks !

Oct 29, 2016 2:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric Root

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I have followed your instructions and so far it now works without crashing!

However I'm stuck at this point

recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Forgive me but I don't understand what/how to do this part!

Your further advice is appreciated

Marisa

Mail quit unexpectedly on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.