Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.5.3 keeps crashing

I updated my Itunes to 12.5.3 and from the minute i did it its just not working!

I'm trying to listen to songs (downloaded to my computer) and it crashes after half a song over and over again

- even after updating to Sierra

can you help me pls?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 3:05 AM

17 replies

Nov 1, 2016 6:30 AM in response to imtuti

I have instructed Little Snitch to deny all iTunes outgoing connections and the crashes stopped.

The problem may be linked to some internet activity like iTunes Match (iCloud Music Uploads) or similar.

When I allowed again iTunes outgoing connections and I restarted iTunes, I have noticed that the iCloud Music Library option (iTunes Match) was unticked in the iTunes preferences.

I re-enabled iCloud Music Library and iTunes immediately started "Gathering information about your music library".

Since a few minutes it is working on "Gathering information about your music library".

Nov 1, 2016 1:24 PM in response to Oliviero FERRARETTO

Hi Oliviero,

This appears to be a common issue with iTunes 12.5.3, bug reports have been raised to Apple however the only known workaround at this point in time is to restore iTunes 12.5.2 which can be done if you have a Time Machine backup by following the steps below:

If you don't have a recent Time Machine backup completed before iTunes updated then there's not much you can do until Apple releases a fix.

1. Stop the iTunes Helper process using Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities).
  2. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and enter the following command:

sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app

3. Restore iTunes from a backup that was done before your machine updated (this particular iTunes update was released on 31st October).
  4. Restore the following files from the Time Machine backup to your Home > Music > iTunes folder:
    1. iTunes Library.itl
    2. iTunes Library.xml
    3. iTunes Library Genius.itdb*
    4. iTunes Library Extras.itdb*

* Note: not all of these files may appear in your iTunes folder, if any are missing don't worry, the important files are the iTunes Library .xml and .itl files.

I hope this helps.

Nov 1, 2016 2:22 PM in response to PiE81

Hi PiE81,

You won't lose any of your music or library content however you'll need to rebuild your Library. iTunes can do this for you when you open the older version by scanning for media on your Mac.

It may take a few minutes depending on the size of your current iTunes library but the .xml and .itl files you are removing are re-created automatically. The version of these files created by iTunes 12.5.3 is not compatible with 12.5.2 which is why you need to remove them.

Nov 1, 2016 2:51 PM in response to Joel Craig

I've pulled together a better guide for anyone who needs to roll back to iTunes 12.5.2 following problems experienced with the iTunes 12.5.3 update released on 31st October.

If you have a recent Time Machine backup:

1. Stop the iTunes Helper process using Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities).
  3. Restore iTunes from a backup that was done before your machine updated (this particular iTunes update was released on 31st October) or if you don't have a Time Machine backup you can download iTunes 12.5.2 from Apple.
  4. Restore the following files from the Time Machine backup to your Home > Music > iTunes folder:
    • iTunes Library.itl
    • iTunes Library.xml

Note: not all of these files may appear in your iTunes folder, if any are missing don't worry, the files we need to replace are the iTunes Library .xml and .itl files.

If you don't have a Time Machine backup:

3. Download iTunes 12.5.2 from Apple and re-install iTunes on your machine.
  4. Rebuild your iTunes Library

I hope this helps

Itunes 12.5.3 keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.