Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any chance to get simple SMS delivery report on iPhone 6s iOS 10.1.1?

Any chance to get simple SMS delivery report to work on iPhone 6s iOS 10.1.1?

I searched for it in all kind of settings and forums but all I see is the option for iMessage

but not for SMS. The most basic phones have it for decades now but what about iPhones?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 4:36 PM

23 replies

May 12, 2017 12:02 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Screenshot taken on my wife's Galaxy s7 edge that she bought in LA while on business trip late 2016.

Delivery reports.... on a phone bought in USA.

You have misunderstood, the report you receive don't say weather or not someone read the SMS, it just report if the SMS was delivered to a device with the number you sent too. A phone can be off, have a dead battery or even being geographically outside any carriers network range, then you wont get a report.

If this is a security issue or not is a whole other question. EU, its citizens and both US and EU organisations and corporations who operate within EU have had since the beginning of the 1990's to address this and since nothing have been changed my guess is that its just as secure as a regular SMS. Its technically just a Ping, and we find those everywhere else anyway.

But, to say that this feature don't exist on any phone sold on the american market is FALSE.

User uploaded file

May 12, 2017 7:31 AM in response to KiltedTim

I guess they don't sell Samsung or HTC in USA then, good to know! Even if you never have been able to use this feature, or in your case didn't know this feature existed on phones sold in USA, that doesn't mean that the rest of the world won't miss a simple feature like this, a feature so small and simple that we have been using it in Europe since beginning of phones with SMS capabilities. A setting on phone that tells the carrier that you want a delivery report. I do miss this on my iPhone and I'm apparently not alone.

May 12, 2017 7:49 AM in response to TeMcao

TeMcao wrote:

I guess they don't sell Samsung or HTC in USA then, good to know!

I've had phones by both of those manufacturers (and LG and Motorola) in the U.S. None of them gave me a read receipt unless I downloaded a third party SMS app. I recognize that you may view the inability to do that as a drawback on an iPhone.

I, for one, am pleased that, in this case, we in the U.S. seem to have more privacy than in Europe. I really don't want it in someone else's control to tell whether or not I've read their message. They will know when I respond. I appreciate the fact that iMessage allows me to decide whether or not the sender gets a read receipt. SMS is the most bulletproof method of cellular communication. Unless you got an error message, you can be almost certain that it went through.

May 12, 2017 12:19 PM in response to TeMcao

TeMcao wrote:

Screenshot taken on my wife's Galaxy s7 edge that she bought in LA while on business trip late 2016.

Delivery reports.... on a phone bought in USA.

I never said it was a hardware issue. Fact is, on the major U.S. carrier that I used, it was not an option on any of the phones I had. You can believe that or not. I don't especially care.

May 12, 2017 5:08 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

You never said? No, but I didn't replay to you initially did I? And if you agree that the hardware is there, the options might be there depending on brand or firmware version, that its just your carriers who don't let you use the feature, or as I think; some (most?) of US carriers remove the feature in settings while they brand and bloat the phones anyway, then what are you about? When I show that you and others are wrong in this case, that there are some phones sold in US with this feature available, you change and go defensive "I never said it was a hardware issue" and then claim that you don't care what I believe? Is it that hard on your ego to be a little off?

No one random on the internet cares about things you never said.

KiltedTim wrote:

"Um... no. They do not "usually" have the option to do that. I'm not aware of ANY phone sold in the US that has that option."

This is what I initially replied to, and there are clearly phones sold in US that have this option, as my screenshot shows.

Oh, and you are also free to believe what you like.

You're welcome.

Jun 2, 2017 8:23 AM in response to TeMcao

TeMcao wrote:

if you agree that the hardware is there, the options might be there depending on brand or firmware version, that its just your carriers who don't let you use the feature, or as I think; some (most?) of US carriers remove the feature in settings while they brand and bloat the phones anyway, then what are you about?

It has nothing to do with hardware at all. It's a combination of software and carrier participation. I'm not sure what you're on about. No one here can give you what you want. Complain to Apple and to your carrier.

Best of luck.

Jun 2, 2017 11:52 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Two things from my last post that might give you a clue to what i'm on about.

"You never said? No, but I didn't replay to you initially did I?"

"KiltedTim wrote:

"Um... no. They do not "usually" have the option to do that. I'm not aware of ANY phone sold in the US that has that option."

This is what I initially replied to, and there are clearly phones sold in US that have this option, as my screenshot shows."

You don't run software on thin air, you use hardware. And if you actually read what I wrote I did say that I think it might be US carriers that remove the feature in settings while branding and bloating the phones (change in the software). But that's just my guess.

IdrisSeabright wrote:

No one here can give you what you want.

Unless someone from Apple read in their own forum?

Nov 1, 2016 4:40 PM in response to Bartekmao

Bartekmao wrote:

Any chance to get simple SMS delivery report to work on iPhone 6s iOS 10.1.1?

I searched for it in all kind of settings and forums but all I see is the option for iMessage

but not for SMS. The most basic phones have it for decades now but what about iPhones?

SMS - text message isn't an Apple or iPhone feature.

Please go rant to your phone carrier and let them know, as it is their feature..

Nov 1, 2016 4:56 PM in response to Bartekmao

SMS fails far more rarely than almost any other type of cellular communication. SMS will go through when you don't have enough signal to make a call. This makes a delivery report kind of superfluous. Unless you get a failure report, which the iPhone does give, you can safely assume the message was delivered. And I figure a reply is a pretty good indication that the message was read.

Any chance to get simple SMS delivery report on iPhone 6s iOS 10.1.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.