Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi. My videos blacks are very grainy after export, footage is fine in fcpx timeline and was fine before compressors latest update. Thanks

Hi

My videos blacks are very grainy after export, footage is fine in fcpx timeline and was fine before compressors latest update. Hope someone can help please?

Thanks

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2016 10:47 AM

27 replies

Jan 21, 2017 3:14 PM in response to Prez272

I can't believe it took Apple so long to fix this grainy layer issue...OMG!!

2 questions:

1: DVD menu text heavily pixelated after burn IN 4.3.1?

2: The pictures below are of my 4.2.2 DVD menu compared to the 4.3.1 update menu. Any ideas what they may have changed or how I can use the same DVD menu template from where the image is in the center of the screen like

the 4.2.2 version and not stretched to fit the screen. If you'll notice the play buttons have also been moved...???

thanks for your help,

steve

4.2.2 DVD menu & text - GOOD

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

4.3.1 updated menu & text - BAD

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 20, 2017 3:58 AM in response to cokomo2

No feedback after the initial, which isn't surprising as a) wouldn't expect any unless they needed additional info, and b) since I uploaded examples to Google Drive for them, the examples make the issue fairly self-explanatory.

However,...

just noticed yesterday that Compressor 4.3.1 was released. I didn't see any reference in the release notes to this issue, but updated and tried it again. While I was at it, I also tried both Rec. 601 and sRGB color spaces (not that it should make a difference) and... *poof* ...the issue appears to have been "silently fixed" - the prior "mysteriously" added "Photo-JPEG" track is also "conspicuous by its absence" when checked with QTP7. Given the other items fixed in 4.3.1, I can't see how this noise issue could have been so embarrassing that Apple won't even acknowledge it ever existed (then again, how could something so simple get through QA to begin with?), but... since I still have a working copy of 4.2.2, I'll try switching to 4.3.1 for some upcoming files and see whether 4.3.1 is "suitable" for what I need (which isn't much).

Nov 3, 2016 11:00 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ

Thanks for your reply.

The project settings in the fcpx time line are 1020 x 1080 1080i - 25i - apple prores 422- rec 709 - stereo 48khz

Compresor - 1280 x 720 - aspect ratio square - frame rate auto - Field order greyed out at progressive - colour space auto rec 709 - h.246 multi pass - data rate computer playback - h.246 profile high - entropy mode high

Cheers

Tony

Nov 4, 2016 8:38 AM in response to Prez272

I've seen the same grain/noise issue with 4.3. In my case, the source is a black video generator "slug" in FCP7 (from FCS3); the export was done with "make self-contained" checked. Looked at the exported file, no grain/noise; ran it through Compressor 4.3,... grain/noise on frames that should be 100% black. Never had this issue with Compressor 4.2.2 and prior - something's changed/broken that shouldn't have been touched.

Nov 8, 2016 4:01 AM in response to PaulieSc

I can... almost (?) see it in that image; took a few screen shots from a recent attempt myself for comparison.

Having been able to restore Compressor 4.2.2 from backup, I've gone back to having ZERO issues with Compressor 4.2.2. Compressor 4.3 on the other hand still appears to be plagued with one problem after another. FYI, I used QuickTime Player 7 to catch the details, as they're apparently not available in QuickTime Player X.

First screen shot below attempts to show the grainy/noisy issue. I find it almost impossible to spot on an Apple 30" Cinema Display, so I dragged the player window over to a secondary TV monitor screen and... *poof* ...there's the issue. And before someone suggests otherwise,... no, it's not the monitor - the same source encoded with Compressor 4.2.2 does NOT produce the issue.

User uploaded file

Second screen shot shows what I *thought* might have been the cause, as it only shows up in the file produced by Compressor 4.3 - NOT the file produced by Compressor 4.2.2. It seems that Compressor 4.3 is (arbitrarily?) adding a secondary video track of type "Photo - JPEG" that I didn't explicitly ask for (not sure how I'd go about doing that anyway).

User uploaded file

Given the options of "Extract" and "Delete", I first tried "Extract" to see what I'd get; here's the result:

User uploaded file

Apparently, Compressor 4.3 unnecessarily added almost a half MB of "Photo - JPEG" data to the original output file - either that, or it's encoded so badly that QuickTime Player 7 extracted it as such. Either way, it's all Apple products involved - and Compressor 4.2.2 doesn't have these issues. Out of curiosity, I then tried "Delete" and checked the player window again - still has the same grain/noise issue, so that may actually be encoded in the main (and what should have been the ONLY) video track.

Short version: Compressor 4.3 is badly broken, and no amount of "Reset Queue" is going to fix it; just going to have to wait for Compressor 4.3.1 (or later) and hope they do something about it.

Hi. My videos blacks are very grainy after export, footage is fine in fcpx timeline and was fine before compressors latest update. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.