Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet connection issues

My internet is very unreliable when I am using Windows with Boot Camp. Usually it doesn't work when I first open my browser, sometimes it says it is connected but it has no internet access, and sometimes it just disconnects out of nowhere. This also means that it is hard for me to get to the login page for public networks where I have to log in, and downloads and updates randomly stop. I do not have any of these problems when using OS X.

One temporary fix I found is disconnecting and reconnecting to my network, but it later stops working again. It also sometimes starts working again if I wait for a while, but it is still a problem.

I already tried the Internet Connections troubleshooting option but it says everything is fine. I also tried the Network Adapter option, and it said it fixed something the first time I used it, but it did not help.

Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Operating System: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, Windows 7 on boot camp

Posted on Nov 6, 2016 7:48 AM

87 replies

Jan 14, 2017 10:19 AM in response to Loner T

It says there is an update available for Windows 10 boot camp in that thread, but I checked apple software update and it only had iCloud and iTunes. Is there any way to get this update for Windows 7?

Other than that, I won't get a wifi dongle because a carrier plan would be a waste of money. I'm always near a hotspot when I need to use the Internet, and I don't use my computer that often.

Jul 30, 2017 9:41 AM in response to appleuser295

I just worked this out today to play PUBG on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015)

It's a driver problem, but it seems like you can't do anything about it, but to change your routers Wi-Fi to use 20 MHz bandwidth instead of 40 MHz, we all know the macs hardware is capable to choose between those two, but nobody practically takes responsibility about the sh*tty driver on Boot Camped Windows. Not the hardware manufacturer nor Apple or Microsoft.

My router had 20/40 setting so I locked it at 20 MHz and it magically worked.

How I came to this conclusion:

I had the same issue that many of you seem to have so I resorted to using my iPhone SE as a hotspot and noticed internet connection was stable that way, so I figured out it had to have something to do with the router which I knew was working perfectly well.

I deduced that the iPhone is using some older kind of technology on that matter, I remembered the 20/40 setting from week ago when I configured my router, did some google searches and actually found a discussion about the same issue which proved I was right and decided to give it a try. And here we are.

System specs:

Boot Camp, Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, version 1607 (aka. anniversary update), build 14393.1480

Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter

Driver: Broadcom, 10/6/2015, v. 7.35.118.49

Jul 30, 2017 9:53 AM in response to appleuser295

Seems that people get these connection problems after using the Wi-Fi connection normally for a day or so.

Please read my answer from above and report back later if the driver roll back was/is only a temporary solution.

I was able to play PUBG yesterday, but today I couldn't even open a web page on any browser until now.

Hope this fix works for y'all 😎

Sep 27, 2017 7:49 AM in response to Loner T

So, I turned 20/40 Coexistence to Enabled (it was Auto before), and I disabled the Bluetooth adapter, as was suggested on another thread. After that, I don't know what did it, but the Wi-Fi connection became much more stable.

However, today, when I booted up using Windows, I got a notification that said something was wrong with the driver/adapter, and the Wi-Fi didn't work at all. I looked at the adapter properties and it said something about not being able to verify a digital signature. I uninstalled the adapter and drivers, and used Boot Camp Repair. In the middle of the repair (while the window was still on the screen, with the progress bar), I got the same, or a similar notification again, and it still didn't work after I restarted. I then tried repairing without first uninstalling the adapter and driver, and it still didn't work.

I had this type of problem before, but at that time, I had a restore point I could restore from (I don't even know why the restore point disappeared, I didn't delete it). At this point, I think I will just uninstall Windows from my Mac and get a PC for when I have to use Windows, because it just has too many problems.

Internet connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.