Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 7 home button crack

I have been using my new Iphone 7 for about 20 days, that night was using as usual as I do, there was no drop or crash or whatever happened, but the phone suddenly told me that "touch ID not associated with the phone".

I tried several time to use my touch ID to access the phone but was not working and even the home button itself not working either. I thought was somehow the setting problem so I lodged in my phone and try to set my home button...

at that time i just realized that there was some very tiny unnoticed crack on the home button!!!

I brought the phone to local carrier shop where I bought the phone from and was told they won't look after this matter, but they are happy to send the phone to factory for technical assessment and will decide whether the repairs will be under covered or not.

well, my question is what if apple came back to me and said "sorry, your phone is not covered, you have to pay the repairs unfortunately etc" and then why I have to pay for something that was not my fault but just some bad luck to get a phone like this?

are there anyone else having the same issues as I and can you share your experience with how you have to do with the issue?

do you think I should contact apple individually?

anyone could give any suggestions?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2016 3:25 PM

57 replies

Jan 16, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Miss 12

Just about to take our daughters new Iphone 7 back to the shop with the exact same issue. She noticed the home button stopped working first & then noticed tiny cracks in the home button a few days later. she is adamant she hasn't dropped it or anything.

Not great by far, especially as it was a much converted Xmas gift, so she is gutted, but sort of reassuring that is an issue with the phone, more hopeful they will sort it out

Jan 30, 2017 5:25 AM in response to Miss 12

CAN EVERYONE WHO HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM COMPLAIN DIRECTLY TO APPLE!!

That way way it will be logged as a fault & they will then take it seriously

We took our daughters phone back to the Apple Store, initially they too were a bit dismissiv. I showed them a couple of screen shots from this thread & others I've seen in the internet.

They were very apologetic that at the moment it doesn't show up on their list of recognised faults & so they can't accept it as such, but he agreed it definitely looks like an iphone7 problem. He did say that if we make an official complaint to head office & the store itsel, once it shows up on their faults list, we will then get an automatic refund for the money we had to pay to get it fixed

Mar 30, 2017 6:20 PM in response to Miss 12

Just experienced this issue... have had my phone for 6 months. Was using it then all of a sudden the phone turned off... thought it was the battery but when I turned it back on I got the Touch ID disabled messaged and noticed the button spontaneously cracked. I brought my phone to the Genius Bar only for them to tell me that it wasn't covered under warranty, there no home button replacement and it would cost $130 to replace the screen. There was nothing they could do because when filling out the form they "had to put damage to the home button when asked" and as soon as they did that it wouldn't let me be covered under warranty... I left, live chatted with a representative, who then transferred me to an advisor/supervisor. I mentioned finding this thread and repeatedly mentioned that it was a manufacturer defect. The supervisor agreed to put an exclusion in the notes, I went back to the Genius Bar and had the screen replaced for free

May 8, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Miss 12

Hi dear apple products user. The home button one the newer iphones with touch ID are covered with a Saphire crystal cover. While Saphire is almost as hard as diamond it have a major weakness its very brittle. While the home button is very unlikely to get damaged or scratched, its possible when a hard object hits the button that the brake occurs you desrcibed. Maybe high temperatures also can have some influence. I hope your able to solve your issue.

May 8, 2017 1:02 PM in response to from0toHero

You're all spinning your wheels in vain here. These forums are for Apple product USERS just like yourselves. We DO NOT work at Apple, have NO SAY in what Apple does and have NO WAY in getting an Apple product fixed in some special way. If you have a problem/gripe/complaint/beef with how your devices have failed and how Apple is dealing with that, you need to contact Apple directly.

Jun 3, 2017 3:14 AM in response to Miss 12

I had the same issue after using my phone for just 15 days. After I attended a call and tried to make another call, the phone screen was going on and off white and black. I found a crack on the home button and I have no clue how it happened. Took the phone to the shop from where I purchased and they said it cannot be repaired and I have to pay approx $500 for replacement. I contacted apple support and took an appointment with Apple Genius. They inspected and said it was not repairable and gave me replacement free of cost. Thanks for the great support Apple!

Jun 20, 2017 2:38 PM in response to Miss 12

I had that issue too. When I went to the Apple Store, they told me that I had to pay $129 and it's not covered under the warranty even though the rest of my phone was in great condition. I saw this forum and how others had gotten it replaced free of charge. So I called apple care and mentioned all this and ended up talking to a senior advisor. After sending some photos of my phone, he agreed to fix my phone free of charge!

Jul 1, 2017 8:35 AM in response to helpful_user392

helpful_user392 wrote:

I have the exact same issue and everything happens exatly as described except I have had my iPhone for many months and there is no crack. My iPhone did get wet but I do not believe this is an issue.

How can you have the exact same issue (cracked home button) if you don't have a cracked home button? Yes, it is almost certain that getting your phone wet is causing problems.

Jul 8, 2017 2:35 PM in response to Miss 12

Same issue happened to my iphone 7. Over 15 years with Apple products and And when I first complain directly to Apple, the engineering department says they can not process the warranty because it appeared to be physical damage. Disappointed about the Apple service when so many customers have experienced the same problem! Not suporting Apple products anymore!

Jul 8, 2017 3:43 PM in response to zoryvid

zoryvid wrote:

Same issue happened to my iphone 7. Over 15 years with Apple products and And when I first complain directly to Apple, the engineering department says they can not process the warranty because it appeared to be physical damage. Disappointed about the Apple service when so many customers have experienced the same problem! Not suporting Apple products anymore!

I don't understand why that should come as a surprise to you. Warranties don't cover damage. You broke your phone; you need to pay to replace it. And, really, you don't "support Apple products". They're not running for office. You buy them or you don't. Your choice. Choose the tool that best meets your needs. It's of no concern to anyone here what you decide to do.

I admit I would have happier if you didn't color your text blue. It's difficult to read and an offense to good taste.

Best of luck.

iphone 7 home button crack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.