Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active vs Total calories

I just got the Apple Watch and have been using the indoor pool swim feature. My last 1 hr swim recorded 338 active calories and 416 total calories. So- is the 416 total calories burned the number I want to look at (active plus resting = total) for calories burned during that exercise period? They both seem lower than I would have thought? Also, I noticed it does not record any kick or drill activity where my arm with the watch is not moving. Does this mean it is not recording (active) calories for this as Well?

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 8:04 AM

Hi

Yes - active + resting = total calories.

During indoor swimming workouts, Apple Watch relies on your arm motion when estimating results. It also analyses your stroke efficiency over time to improve the accuracy of estimations.

Reported results will therefore be affected by using training aids (eg wearing fins) and when not using your arms (eg when using a kickboard).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2016 8:04 AM in response to Ka5

Hi

Yes - active + resting = total calories.

During indoor swimming workouts, Apple Watch relies on your arm motion when estimating results. It also analyses your stroke efficiency over time to improve the accuracy of estimations.

Reported results will therefore be affected by using training aids (eg wearing fins) and when not using your arms (eg when using a kickboard).

Nov 12, 2016 8:21 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you!! Also/ do you know if the active calories it reports is accurate if the total distance is inaccurate. Just wondering since my last workout was low by almost 500 yards due to kicking drills? Saw Some mention of calories burned being estimated by heart rate but I've been reading the heart rate reader isn't always accurate either? Thanks for your input - trying to figure this all out (and apparently up my workouts, lol!)

Nov 12, 2016 9:11 AM in response to Ka5

You're welcome!

Apple advises that "When in a Pool Swim or Open Water Swim in the Workout app, water may prevent a heart rate measurement, but Apple Watch will still track your calories using the built-in accelerometer."

You may wish to contact Apple Support for further clarification, taking advantage of your initial 90 days of complimentary telephone-based technical support:

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Active vs Total calories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.