Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random USB 3 External Drive Disconnects

Hi,

Running Sierra 10.12.1 on Late 2013 iMac w/2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-4570R) CPU: 4-core, 16GB Ram, 1TB Fusion Drive, and several external USB 3.0 drives.

I've seen similar questions but no solutions, and I've been advised to start a new thread.

I'm having random disconnects "Drive Disconnected without Properly Ejecting" messages with external USB 3.0 drives.

The drives are connected through a USB 3.0 hub. When this occurs, both drives do it together, every time.

I've changed the cables, I'm now on the 3rd set, both from the drives (though that isn't it, since they both do it simultaneously ALWAYS) and from the hub to the iMac. No help.

I'm using these drives for overnight scheduled backups with SuperDuper!, and that works fine, unless one of the disconnects happens just at the time of, or during, one of my backups, which will cause it to fail.

I thought the hub must be the issue, since these always happen together, so I even replaced the old Amazon Basics hub (which worked fine) with one from Pluggable, which had been reviewed as being tested favorably with the Mac.

I changed the PowerSave setting so neither the computer nor the drives will go to sleep. No help.

I've even tried using Amphetamine, to keep the drives alive, but no help.

Anyone have a good solution to this?

Now that Time Machine appears to be broken for at least the time being, these backups are even more important, and I'm getting more nervous than just annoyed now.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Also run Parallels 10 with Win 10

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 7:49 PM

The common factor may be the Mac's USB port. An SMC Reset has been known to fix that: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support. Try a different USB port also.

24 replies

Nov 12, 2016 2:59 PM in response to Flyboyron

Flyboyron wrote:

Now that Time Machine appears to be broken for at least the time being, these backups are even more important, and I'm getting more nervous than just annoyed now.

Just curious, what makes you think Time Machine is broken? I've been using it with three different Macs since the first beta seed of Sierra up through the release of 10.12.1 (and beyond).

Nov 12, 2016 7:54 PM in response to dialabrain

Well, there are numerous LOONG threads here on that issue. I started having the problem just after accepting the SIerra upgrade, after 2 years of flawless Time Machine performance.

Tbought it might have been my hardware, but there are literally dozens, or more, of similar reports to mine, in another thread, one in which John Galt, for one, has been an active and helpful participant.

I'm glad you haven't had the issue, but there are certainly a lot of online complaints about it, both here and on other sites.

Ron

Nov 13, 2016 3:04 AM in response to Flyboyron

Flyboyron wrote:

I'm glad you haven't had the issue, but there are certainly a lot of online complaints about it, both here and on other sites.

Ron

I've mentioned this here and there a few times but I guess it bears repeating. A modern OS is very complex and that along with a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of hardware and software, it's impossible to test all possible combinations for errors. It stands to reason that out of millions of users, there will be some users with the same or similar combinations that lead to problems. personally, I'm amazed things work as well as they do.

Nov 13, 2016 5:55 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks, I'm sure you are right. But this particular problem is apparently widespread, and seems to involve a lot of different brands of drives, etc.

Here's hoping for a quick solution from Apple.

After all, if you ask, most converts to Apple from Windows will say this is the kind of thing they hated about Windows, and "those things just don't happen with Macs."

Well...... ;~)

Nov 13, 2016 6:43 AM in response to Flyboyron

Flyboyron wrote:

Thanks, I'm sure you are right. But this particular problem is apparently widespread, and seems to involve a lot of different brands of drives, etc.

Welcome. "Widespread" is relative. Apple has sold approx. 109 million computers in the last 5 years. Let's say 10% of those have been updated to Sierra or 10 million to round down. Let's say 100, or even 1,000 have reported the problem. What would seem to be widespread is 9,999,000 are not having a problem. 😎

Nov 13, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Flyboyron

Flyboyron, the Time Machine discussion you referenced has unfortunately but predictably degenerated into nothing more than a mess of disparate and irrelevant concerns and rants. When that happens, it's typical for its originator to bail on it, so no one will ever know if, when, or how his problems were ultimately addressed. Everyone tacking on "me too" replies will receive little if any attention, since their problems are almost always unique to their particular installation. Attempting to address each individual contributor to someone else's Discussion one always fails, leaving everyone frustrated and angry, while resolving nothing.

The relevant concern in your case was the following passage from that Discussion:

But if I start TM at any point, it all comes to a near-halt and stalls at some random point in the TM backup, whether full or update.

A few possibilities can be drawn from the information you provided, but there is not enough information to provide conclusive direction.

Let's try to figure that out, but in a separate Discussion. Not this one and not that one – a new one that you create, and in which you can control the dialog.

Needless to say you must absolutely resolve the apparently random USB device disconnections – the subject of this Discussion – before TM can be expected to work... and it will work, as long as it is "used as directed"... a phrase that came to mind after reading your "Amphetamine" reference 🙂 If the SMC Reset does not fix things, other possibilities can be explored.

Random USB 3 External Drive Disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.