Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto stops letting me add photos and edit page layout to picture book

Hi - I have created a book in iPhoto but for some reason it all of a sudden stops me from adding pictures to my book. Neither will it let me edit the layout of the pages. I have to quit and open iPhoto, edit the book and then I'm allowed to add a few pictures before it stops again. Very frustrating.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any solutions?

I can't figure out why it is doing this and having created many books in the past using iPhoto I've not experienced this before and neither do I seem to be doing anything different.

Version of iPhoto - Version 2.0 (451.20.9)

Version of iMac - 10.12.1 (16B2555)

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Thanks

Dan

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2016 7:53 PM

11 replies

Nov 22, 2017 3:16 AM in response to danielpa78

This bug is definitely known to apple and was supposed to be fixed with the high sierra upgrade. I spent several hours with someone on the phone at Apple recreating the problem, uploading videos etc. now the apple support manager in Australia doesn’t even reply to my queries about progress on this problem. Been going on for at least 6 months. Still not fixed.

I suggest trying bob books or Saal books. A bit of a learning curve but I have made some very nice photo books with those companies. Also the photobook guru YouTube channel is good as well.

I agree Photos is not very useful without the photo book functionality working properly.

Nov 14, 2016 1:59 PM in response to danielpa78

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities danielpa78,

I see you're having an issue adding photos and editing the layout of pages when trying to create a book in Photos. I understand the concern since you mentioned you've been able to do these things before, and I'd be happy to help.

Let's start by having you try to use these features on a new user account. If the issue persists, start up into safe mode and see if you can use these features in Photos:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up
Let us know if this works.
Have a great day!

Nov 14, 2016 7:56 PM in response to KMB_12

Hi - thanks for getting back to me. I tried Safe Mode and managed to add photo's to 3 pages without issues. I then stopped as I got further than I had done in recent weeks when working on this book.

I then tried adding a test account. I created the account but have not yet created a book... Its a bit of an effort for me to do this with little time to spare right now.

What are your thoughts? Do you want me to continue to make a book using the test account? Or, by proving this works when in Safe Mode, does that suffice? And if so, what are the next steps? I can't work in Safe mode all the time, the iMac is rather slow in that mode.

Thanks!

Dan

Nov 15, 2016 8:53 AM in response to soccerdad0071

Apologies - you're right... not iPhoto.. this is Photo's. As mentioned above, Safe mode worked for me and haven't yet tried the test account. I may get time tonight to do that but please let me know if you have any success.

It was getting very painful over the weekend closing and re-opening the app after every few pictures or page layouts were changed.

Dan

Nov 15, 2016 9:04 AM in response to danielpa78

It was getting very painful over the weekend closing and re-opening the app after every few pictures or page layouts were changed.

Are you using more than one page with maps?

I am frequently having trouble with book projects in Photos after adding a second page with a map.

And it is easier to manage book projects, if you create each book in a separate Photos Library. If you create a new library with just the photos you want to use in the book, you can be sure, that the library has no corruption and does not need repairing. And this library will not be slowed down by trying to sync with iCloud Photo Library. Also, you will not accidentally deleted the photos you used in your book, so you can archive the library with the project.

Nov 15, 2016 8:29 PM in response to danielpa78

Hi Dan,

Tonight made a fresh brand new user account. Exported all the photos I needed from the Photos library into a folder insider the Public directory of my original user. Logged on to the new user account. Imported the photos into the new photos library directly from the public directory and started creating a book. So far no issues. Not a great solution but better than safe mode.

OldToad, still have some partially completed books in aperture and so may try out PrestoPhoto

Thanks

Kevin

Nov 19, 2016 5:39 AM in response to soccerdad0071

Thanks Kevin for letting me know. Appreciate it. I'll have to give it some thought... Was really hoping there was a simpler less involved solution. My book is nearly done... I'm wondering if its best to finish it off in Safe Mode.

I need to try and find out if this is logged as a bug with Apple... it makes photos worthless in my opinion, especially for those who create books.

iPhoto stops letting me add photos and edit page layout to picture book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.