Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi dropping in 2016 15" MacBook Pro when USB 3 device plugged in

Hi all,

I'm having an issue that when I plug a Lexar CFR1 Compact Flash card reader into my new 2016 15" MacBook Pro via a USB-B to USB-C cable the Wifi suddenly grounds to halt. The minute that I unplug the card reader the Wifi immediately goes back to normal use. Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Do we need some type of shielded USB-C cable to work on these machines?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), 2016 15" MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2016 11:34 AM

20 replies

Nov 18, 2017 5:05 PM in response to jfowler1326

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Some USB 3 devices can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Here are some tips to avoid this issue:

• If your USB device has a cable long enough that you can move the device, place it away from your Mac—and make sure not to place it behind your Mac, or near the hinge of its display. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there might interfere with your wireless connections.
  • If you're using adapters or dongles on a Mac computer with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, plug them into the front port on the left side of your Mac, or into the ports on the right side (if your computer has them). These ports are the farthest away from the antennas, making interference less likely.
  • To avoid interference on the 2.4GHz band using Wi-Fi, try using the 5GHz band instead. You can change this on your wireless base station. Bluetooth always uses 2.4GHz, so this alternative isn't available for Bluetooth.

Using USB devices with your Mac - Apple Support

also, any of these items may be involved:

• Power Adapter cable recall

Apple USB-C Charge Cable Replacement Program - Apple Support

• firmware update for the Apple Multi-Port display adapters (specifically to reduce interference).

About the USB-C Multiport Adapter Update 1.0 - Apple Support

• LG-display recall -- to address Wi-Fi interference so severe, it knocks the Router off the air if too near the Router.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes-wifi-interference-problems-with-ultrafin e-usb-c-5k-display-new-units-unaffected/

Jan 16, 2017 12:44 AM in response to Jeddf

The solution above by Jeddf worked for me, many thanks!

This one has been a real bugger to find, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue!

I have been having the same issues with multiple Non-Apple USB-C dongles since I received my late 2016 Macbook Pro 15" in late November of 2016. When the dongles stated below were plugged into any of the four USB-C ports on the Macbook Pro with nothing attached to the dongles themselves, Wifi would immediately drop and not come back until unplugged.

Specs of my unit: base CPU, 460 GPU, and 500gb SSD.

My network priority has been set for Wifi having the highest priority over Internet connection methods.

During all of these tests of dongles, Internet over Ethernet was never used or plugged into the computer.

The routers used to test this was a Westell router at 2.4 GHz (failed case) and an Apple Airport Extreme at 5 Ghz (worked case).

USB-C devices used with issues so far in case an engineer at Apple is trying to replicate this issue:

- Aukey's USB-C to 4 USB3 type A and 1 Ethernet (replicated on two different units)

- ASL's USB-C to 1 full sized Display Port (4k @ 60Hz model)

USB-C devices used with no issues: (everything plugged into these dongles were successful)

- Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2

- Aukey's USB-C to 1 USB3 type A

Being an EE my first guess is that this is either a relatively simple software bug (i hope), a signal isolation issue with the port (unlikely), or the issue lies with Texas Instrument chips used in the Apple dongles (i beleive this is the chip Apple is using), which probably aren't used in the 3rd party options yet, as to why Apple's works and others don't (plausible).

Jan 16, 2017 6:14 AM in response to jfowler1326

I've had the same problem with a USBC to USB 3/Ethernet connector. I spend hours looking at Wi-Fi networks, different bands, security setting and concluded that it's not the Wi-Fi network, it is a problem with the connectors and adapters. I tried using net spot, air radar, wireless diagnostics and more software analysing applications and noticed that when the USB 3 adapter was plugged in Wi-Fi noise dropped to almost 0. So despite the network looking like it had good SNR I couldn't get a connection. I'm currently trying USB AC Wi-Fi adapter instead of the internal Wi-Fi and it seems to work. Hope I haven't just jinxed it!

Jan 17, 2017 6:10 PM in response to Gizmo-__

I got the same problem on my 13" MBP as well.

What I found is, if my fingers hold the usb-c connector (the end of the cable from the usb hub ) when it is connected to any of the left side usb-c ports, WiFi connection is restored. Also, if I change the port to be connected to the right side one, it also works fine.

So I guess there are some EMC related design defects on Macbook Pro. I am not sure if earlier versions also got the same problem.

May 24, 2017 6:26 AM in response to OldEgg

Yeah. I agree with you. I had bought a New MacBook Pro 13" touch bar this afternoon. And I meet this problem exactly.

Even, when plugged in the USB-C on the left side, the "feeling sound" is different with the right sides. On the right, I have the "tik" sound from the USB-C port, the left don't have that.

And the wifi still drop with left USB-C. haizzz. That's disappointed ☹️

Sep 1, 2017 8:37 AM in response to jfowler1326

I saw this comment:

"Apple states that the back-left port is closest to the wireless antenna (located in/near the lid hinge) and is most likely to affect the wireless signal. They recommend plugging any dongles with USB 3 support into the right-side ports, as these are furthest from the antenna. The front-left may also reduce interference."

in a video that shows the same problem Macbook pro 15" Touchbar 2016 problem - Dongle Interference Wifi - YouTube

Oct 10, 2017 1:55 AM in response to TrungVan52VN

Apparently i have tried and solved this interference problem with a simple hack (I'm using USB-C to HDMI dongle).

I wrapped a rubber band (the thick one, the one looks like a wristband) around the USB-C jack handle. It seems to be working and my wifi speed seems normal (i've done speed test also). I found this simple hack is hard to believe. Tell me if this worked for you too.

Cheers

Nov 20, 2017 9:54 AM in response to jfowler1326

I purchased a new MacBook Pro with the touchbar in July and returned it to Apple because of this problem. The tech I worked with never mentioned this as a source of the problem. That's about 4 hours wasted in my life that I'll never get back. I can't believe this has been a problem for a year and Apple hasn't come out with their own adapter. I desperately need one that works. The Amkle one I purchased is a fail. Other options?

Nov 21, 2016 11:16 PM in response to jfowler1326

I'm having the same issue with an AUKEY usb-c to displayport adapter in a 2016 non touch bar 13" pro (that I needed to get for 60hz 4k output!). Incredibly consistent, every time I plug it in the adaptor works great but wifi completely stops working. I also have the Apple digital AV adapter which causes no such wifi death but can only output 4k over HDMI at 30hz for some reason?!

The next attempt will be the apple thunderbolt 3 -> 2 adapter, I had a hard time locating stock but it looks like apple has it online now, no local stock still though. Totally nuts.

Nov 21, 2016 11:17 PM in response to jfowler1326

Hi,

I think both of you should use your free 90 days of AppleCare phone support to call Apple and see what they have to say (or make an appointment and see a "genius" at an Apple Store). I suspect their answer is going to be "these are not Apple products, so they're not supported" but you won't know until you try. Get a case number so it's "official" and maybe if they get enough of these calls they'll do something about it, but first they have to know about it.

Nov 22, 2016 8:17 AM in response to tjk

Appreciate the rational response, getting mad is fun though haha =D

It's nice to vent, I should have been patient and gone straight for the apple adapters but the low availability at launch has been pretty irritating.

Just spoke with Apple support and Mike there had me run the wireless diagnostics, it took a long time to run, more than 10 minutes, and when it was done, the call dropped (it was an iphone on wifi calling coincidentally hah) but simultaneously the laptop switched to the 5Ghz band on the same network and connectivity came back, something I hadn't previously tried.

So, the solution for now might be to get on 5Ghz band of your wifi if that's possible. Got back in touch with support and gave them all details, hopefully this can be helpful to others.

Wifi dropping in 2016 15" MacBook Pro when USB 3 device plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.