Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari passwords are locked

On my MacBook Air, when I go to Safari > Preferences > Passwords. I am presented with this screen:

User uploaded file

However, on my iMac I am presented with this screen:

User uploaded file

I'm uncertain how I achieved this extra layer of security on my iMac and I'd like to replicate it on my Air but am unable to do so. The iMac locked passwords displayed above are better, I think, because then usernames and websites are also hidden.

Any idea or hints or clues would be appreciated.

Regards, Allan.

OBS,MacBook Air, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2016 11:07 AM

12 replies

Mar 18, 2017 10:19 PM in response to Mrs Wright

If keychain is prompting to enter password multiple times , & pop - up is not going away when safari is opened .

In user library click on go to go folder & type ~/Library then find a folder > keychains > remove first folder ( alfa numeric folder ) to trash . Restart & empty the trash , go to internet accounts & once again configure web mail account , I cloud mail account by entering their passwords .

Open air port utility via spotlight > enter your base station password .

If the pop -up window appears like this and you enter your login password , it never accepts and another pop - up window appears .This is due to corrupted keychain .

User uploaded file

Jun 27, 2017 3:19 AM in response to whitney78

I have posted to another thread regarding pop - ups for iCloud Keychain : I cannot sign in to Apple services/apps on device (iTunes, Cloud account, etc.)

And regarding to the original question posted by Allan in safari preferences safari passwords are locked in Mac OS Sierra ( by default ) .

Login keychain and I cloud keychain are totally different , try this method , hope so it will work , by the way if you have issues you can contact in apple support ( senior advisors ) , they are expert in solving keychain issues , changing passwords for I cloud might not work , sometimes entire keychain is corrupted so best way is clean the hard drive and install OS .

Mar 10, 2017 2:47 AM in response to allanfrommadison

Hi, I had exactly the same problem and hat the luck to get into contact with the Apple service. The password you've been asked is the same password you use to lock into your computer! It' so crazy. I tried so many different password but did not cam this idea.

Furthermore there is an addition keychain program on your computer. You can find it on the launchpad. Here you can find also all the different information you have saved so far on your keychain.

I hope I could help you. SPl

Apr 23, 2017 2:52 PM in response to tygb

Me too, I have the same problem after updated my OS X Yosemite to OS X Sierra. The key access passwords keep popping up continuously one after another until I completed all my login passwords. Now the safari passwords are locked, after I updated from Yosemite to Sierra. When I entered the safari passwords I only see two items stored only and the rests of it are missing. I called apple and they recommended me to changed and created new passwords on all my email, iCloud and etc., But it's still a problem for me. Don't know what apple wants? But it's a frustration when you don't see it as normal software system.

Dec 14, 2016 9:42 AM in response to allanfrommadison

I had seen the same setting using Mac OS Sierra by going to safari & its preferences , clicking on passwords a pop window appears safari passwords are locked to unlock safari passwords , enter the password for the user .......

I think so an extra security is being added in new Mac OS Sierra for admin users , so that apart from him/her no other guests can fill up the passwords field & use safari , system preferences or browse or can do any changes in system preferences settings ....

Only Admin user has full privileges to enter the admin password .

safari passwords are locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.