Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail no longer connects to Hotmail Account

My Mac Mail (as of today) no longer connects to my Hotmail Account. Keep getting prompted to enter the password. When I do, I receive a message saying "Unable to verify account name or password".

I am able to access my Hotmail account via my iPhone as well as via the web browser on my Mac.

Two factor authentication is switch off on my mail account.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 12:57 PM

I have exactly the same problem (keep asking for password on my Mac Mail and it works well on my iPhone) !
But worst, I have a second hotmail account and it works fine on Mac Mail... I'm lost...

16 replies

Nov 21, 2016 11:05 AM in response to RATH1970

I have had similar problems in the past...trying to recall all the things I did to resolve but will try to put them down for you to try. Hopefully they will help but not guaranteed.

As an FYI, Microsoft has been steadily migrating accounts to the Office 365 platform which I think is the cause of this. If you log into the web mail and get a "Welcome to you new inbox" message you could have had your mailbox migrated.

First off, I use a custom domain as my main ID and email address which causes some of my problems. This was the ID I always used to log in with.

I ended up creating an alias to my account with an outlook.com domain on it but left my previous email address as my primary alias.

Then, I created a new email account in Apple Mail but set it up as Exchange instead of Outlook.com. I used my new outlook.com alias in the initial setup so it will auto-detect all the servers. This was enough to get email working but emails will be sent as if they are from the outlook.com address which you may not want. I then edited the email account settings and set the email address to my custom email address but left the username field as the outlook.com address.

Like I said, pretty sure that is what I did which got things working properly but I'm not 100% certain...hope it helps.

D

Nov 21, 2016 11:48 AM in response to ddeacon

Thanks for your input.

Did more digging. I have Outlook's latest Mac Client (version 15.28.1) and tried creating my Hotmail account via that route.

On setting up my hotmail address, I receive the following message:

Outlook was redirected to the server autodiscover-s.outlook.com to get new settings for your account. Do you want to allow this server to configure your settings?

https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

Click Allow only if you fully trust the source, or if your Exchange administrator instructs you to.

I click "OK" and then eventually receive:

Mail could not be received at this time.

The server for account "Hotmail" returned the error "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid username or password.." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

So far, Mac Mail client doesn't work nor does Outlook Mail Client. Access via iPhone and Web Client works.

Any thoughts?

Nov 21, 2016 7:32 PM in response to rocco1985

Check the email accounts when you go via the web. If one account has a new interface with "focused" and "other" inboxes, then it may be a migrated/upgraded account, which appears to be causing problems. If the other does not have that, then it may still work fine. My account was fine saturday and the appeared updated late yesterday, at which point the problems began on all devices I use (MBP, iPhone).

Nov 25, 2016 5:12 AM in response to RATH1970

Hello. Had the same problem with @hotmail.com. You can no longer connect your Mail app to these legacy accounts it seems, but there's a quick solution: go to your Outlook account on the web and create an alias using "@outlook.com." You don't have to make it primary (if you switch, you won't be able to make the old one primary ever again), it only has to be associated with your old @hotmail account. Then add the new outlook address to your Mail app through Mail/Add Account, type in the password which is the same as the old Hotmail alias. You should get access to your old inbox instantly. (non-Outlook aliases should work too.)

Mac Mail no longer connects to Hotmail Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.