Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New MacBook Pro 15" crashes and restarts randomly

I have a brand new MacBook Pro 15" with touch bar and a 2 TB SSD, 16 GB and fastest graphics card. I restored all my data and apps from a Time Machine backup of my 2013 MacBook Pro and everything works ok, except the new MB randomly crashes, freezes, goes to black screen and restarts. Sometimes it happens frequently and sometimes takes longer. In particular it crashes while trying to do my first full backup after all setup work is done. I've tried backing up to external drives, like 4TB erased and empty and another external and the crashes are frequent, stopping the backups. I also ran a Time Capsule backup which ran for 10 hours, was 3/4 done and then crashed.

I had on older MB Pro that crashed randomly too and it turned out to be a hardware issue- bad graphics card.

Is anyone else having this type of problem? Very discouraging!!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.1.1, With Touchbar, 2 TB SSD, 16 GB

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 2:56 PM

43 replies

Feb 22, 2017 10:28 AM in response to fredfrommccormick

I too had a whole raft of issues, including random crashes, both while running and in sleep.

I could *never* sleep as either the whole MBP would crash, or more usually only some open apps.

Since 10.12.3 (16D32) most issues have gone. I can now 'sleep'. However when not invoked by closing the lid, so-called sleep is short-lived and the MBP wakes up almost immediately without needing logon. When the lid is shut, the display is not lit, but I think the machine is not asleep at all. This is because it beeps if I insert anything into a TB3 socket. Also when lifting the lid, it starts again without login. Apple have solved the sleep issue by disabling sleep!

Remaining issues:

Capslock set to 'none' now does not disable. In previous release it was disabled for a while only.

Touchid often simply does not appear. If fingerprint(s) are stored, I have to delete and re-make. Often all simply disappear.

My sshkey disappears from the keychain. I keep having to type ‘ssh-add -K .ssh/id_rsa’.

A 'genius' did zap my original keychain to try to resolve.

MPB touchbar, Late 2017, Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32)

Nov 20, 2016 3:52 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

I can consistently reproduce a similar-sounding crash on my 2TB MBP 15" 2016 by generating a significant amount of disk I/O. After several minutes of sustained writing, the machine becomes responsive and I get a beach ball cursor. Moments later, the system will freeze and need rebooting.

I can generate the crash by running multiple threads (i.e. use multiple terminals) doing something like:

bash% bzcat a_10_gb_file.bz2 > foo

Nov 20, 2016 4:14 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

Hi,

I have a similar problem. Third time I am trying to type this post.

Maxed out Macbook Pro 15" Late 2016. Trying to backup to an external USB3.0 Seagate 1TB drive. MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 Beta keeps crashing and then restarting. Seems related to the backup disk activity.

Going to reinstall the OS to see if this helps. Not a good sign.

#CrashGate2016 anyone?

Nov 20, 2016 6:05 PM in response to edo237

Edo237,

What I experienced is the following:

1. Backing up using TimeMachine and randomly macOS would hang. Can't move the mouse or use the keyboard but display would remain on, showing the last things I was busy doing. No pinwheel though.

2. After 20 seconds or so of unresponsive behavior, macOS would restart. I log back in and the OS sends a crash report.

I have now performed a clean install of Sierra 10.12.1 (non-Beta) and now waiting for 400GB backup to complete.

Brand New MacBook Pro 15" crashes and restarts randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.