Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding @msn.com account on Mac OS X sierra

Mail won't sign in to msn account since they switched to outlook. on iPhone, when setting up new account, I can select outlook as an option - and that worked. on iMac OS X sierra, there's no outlook option. I tried "other mail account" but that doesn't work. any suggestions?

Thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 2:59 PM

23 replies

Jun 2, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Bonbog2

this has solved the issue for me.

App passwords and two-step verification

After you've turned on two-step verification, some apps (like the mail apps on some phones) or devices (like an Xbox 360 or Windows Phone, OS Sierra) will show an incorrect password error because they can't prompt you to enter a security code when you try to sign in.If you've turned on two-step verification and you see an incorrect password error with an app or device, you'll need to get and enter a unique app password to sign in. Once you've signed in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You'll need to create a different app password to sign in to each app or device that can't prompt you for a security code.The steps for generating a new app password are always the same. Repeat these steps to get a different password for every app or device that needs an app password:
  1. Go to the Security settings page for your Microsoft account.
  2. Under App passwords, tap or click Create a new app password.A new app password is generated and appears on your screen.
  3. Enter this app password where you would enter your normal password.

Nov 20, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Bonbog2

You also need to set the proper security and ports as Csound1 said.

Incoming (IMAP) Server

• Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Port: 993
  • Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

• Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
  • Authentication: Yes
  • Encrypted Connection: TLS
  • User name: Your email address
  • Password: Your password

Nov 23, 2016 4:37 AM in response to Bonbog2

I just had this problem and solved it with this...

The full steps are:

1. Choose the option to add a new Exchange account.
  2. Enter Name, Email Address and Password, then click 'Sign In'.
  3. It will take a while, then time out and say that it's unable to verify account name or password, click Next (you can leave the username blank/automatic).
  4. On the next screen enter https://outlook.live.com the internal and external URL fields (again, you can leave the username blank/automatic), then click 'Sign In'
  5. You'll be prompted to select the apps you want to use with the account (Mail, Contacts, etc.), then click 'Done'.

Hope this helps!

Nov 22, 2016 11:46 AM in response to Bonbog2

It seems there's two issues here -

1. The longer term one of Mail not recognising a msn.com domain name, which my previous reply fixed (at least for me) 2. The other problem is the syncing, which is a current issue at Microsoft:

https://portal.office.com/servicestatus

Title: Can't access or synchronize Outlook.com email

User Impact: Users may be unable to access or synchronize their Outlook.com accounts while using applications or mobile devices.

More info: While we're focused on remediation, users may be able to access the service by logging in to their Outlook.com accounts with a web browser as an alternative method.

Current status: We've identified the cause of the issue and we're preparing a fix to be deployed to the affected infrastructure.

Start time: Thursday, November 17, 2016, at 12:00 AM UTC

Next update by: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, at 2:00 AM UTC

Adding @msn.com account on Mac OS X sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.