Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 battery loosing power when switched off

Good Afternoon All,

I have been noticing that I am loosing battery power even when the iPhone 7 is turned off?

Last night I turned my phone off with 97% power showing, when I turned it one this morning it was showing 64%?

Any Ideas?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2016 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2016 8:56 AM

If the device is truly powered off, nothing is running that could account for a power drain. Some loss of power over time is to be expected, but the reported drain is extreme and can only really be explained by a physical short causing something to consume power.

Unless, of course, the OP is mistaken in believing or stating that the device is turned off, and it's actually only in standby...

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2016 8:56 AM in response to Applepro2123

If the device is truly powered off, nothing is running that could account for a power drain. Some loss of power over time is to be expected, but the reported drain is extreme and can only really be explained by a physical short causing something to consume power.

Unless, of course, the OP is mistaken in believing or stating that the device is turned off, and it's actually only in standby...

May 24, 2017 6:53 AM in response to CPTUK

I have the same issue 😟

When it first happened, I thought that I was just wrong and the phone was indeed turned on, but now it happened again and this time I'm 100% certain that it was off.

In fact, I'm certain that when I turned it off, it had at least 80% battery left. After over a week of sitting there completely off I couldn't power it up today at all. I plugged it in and it turns out that it lost ALL power and had to charge to at least 3% to power up.

How is this even possible? I had a situation where I had to leave it off for a few days before and then it lost maybe 1-2% during that time, how can it lose all of it in on off state?

Aug 29, 2017 4:49 PM in response to CPTUK

I have both the 7 and 7+. I had the same problem with the 7. Apple eventually did replace it. What I did was to restore it so that it had nothing on it. Just like you got it out of the box. I then told Apple to keep it for a few days so they can see themselves that it still drains while off. Now out of the blue my 7+ is doing the same.

Aug 29, 2017 4:51 PM in response to steve31

steve31 wrote:

I have both the 7 and 7+. I had the same problem with the 7. Apple eventually did replace it. What I did was to restore it so that it had nothing on it. Just like you got it out of the box. I then told Apple to keep it for a few days so they can see themselves that it still drains while off. Now out of the blue my 7+ is doing the same.

This thread is about turning it off. Which means you hold the SLEEP button until "Slide to power off" appears, and you do that. Is that what you mean by turning it off? Or do you mean something else?

Nov 28, 2016 12:46 PM in response to CPTUK

i have exactly the same battery drain problem on my iphone 7. I charged my iphone 7 to 100% and power off, after 4 days it can not start up, battery is completely dead.

I have made several test on my iphone 7 and iphone 5S( a 3 year old iphone), I charged two iphone to 100% and turn both one, turn off both wifi and cell net work, 3 days later the iphone 5S's battery has 74% left, but the iphone 7 has only 32% left. I went to a apple store at World trade center NY for troubleshoot, the customer service is terriable, they run some test and said the battery on my iphone 7 pass the test, they woun't do anything about my iphone 7. they only trust their test not the real user experience. Very unhelpful.

I will keep calling apple until my phone problem is resolved.

Terry

Dec 3, 2016 4:45 AM in response to CPTUK

Same here, got an 256 GB Iphone 7 and its loosing around 2,5% on battery per hour! when switched off.

Also the drain in airplane-mode or standby is much to high!

I will never again by a iphone from the first charge... It is much to expensive for having so much trouble.

Apple-Support hotline is complete out of order due to the other battery issues from iphone 6s etc.

Stores are not in every corner here in germany, but I think I have to go there someday. I hope they will not try to repair it because Im not trusting a once opened water "sealed" phone anymore. I rather have a new one...

I would not wonder if this affect lot more people, but they do not know yet because the dont switch of there phone or just charge it twice a day if necassary.

iPhone 7 battery loosing power when switched off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.