Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Esc key on touch bar?

Hey all,

I love the new MacBook Pro but hate (and I mean hate) the Esc key on the touch bar. My finger constantly grazes it while I type in Chrome, Word, etc. Is there a fix or workaround?

I know I could simply learn how to type differently to help avoid brushing against it. But, I am asking if there's a way to move the key on the touch bar, delete the key, or disable this key while in certain apps?

TIA!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2016 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2017 4:07 PM

I spent some time today with BetterTouchTool (BTT) and seem to have sorted things. All I was looking to achieve was to get rid of the ESC key that is way too sensitive.

With BTT installed, here is what I did:

1. Click "TouchBar"
  2. Click "General Touch Bar Settings"
    1. Check "Enable Touch Bar Support"
    2. Uncheck "Show macOS Control Strip"
    3. Check Show "BTT icon in Control Strip"
    4. All Other items are unchecked
    5. Click Close
      User uploaded file
  3. Click "+ TouchBar Button"
    1. Give the button a Name...I chose "Unhide the Touch Bar with Satan Spawn ESC key"
    2. For "Predefined Action:" choose "Toggle BTT Touch Bar"
      User uploaded file
    3. Click "Advanced Configuration" for the button and choose where you want it to appear...I chose the right side for "Item Placement..."
      User uploaded file

Now my Touch Bar looks like this:

User uploaded file

With nothing else on the Touch Bar:

User uploaded file

This Touch Bar persists across all apps. If I tap the button, the regular Touch Bar returns with a BTT icon in the Control Strip...it looks like the BTT icon. The only time I don't see the BTT icon is when I have forced display of the regular Function keys in Excel.

I hope this helps.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2017 4:07 PM in response to erikyoung1111

I spent some time today with BetterTouchTool (BTT) and seem to have sorted things. All I was looking to achieve was to get rid of the ESC key that is way too sensitive.

With BTT installed, here is what I did:

1. Click "TouchBar"
  2. Click "General Touch Bar Settings"
    1. Check "Enable Touch Bar Support"
    2. Uncheck "Show macOS Control Strip"
    3. Check Show "BTT icon in Control Strip"
    4. All Other items are unchecked
    5. Click Close
      User uploaded file
  3. Click "+ TouchBar Button"
    1. Give the button a Name...I chose "Unhide the Touch Bar with Satan Spawn ESC key"
    2. For "Predefined Action:" choose "Toggle BTT Touch Bar"
      User uploaded file
    3. Click "Advanced Configuration" for the button and choose where you want it to appear...I chose the right side for "Item Placement..."
      User uploaded file

Now my Touch Bar looks like this:

User uploaded file

With nothing else on the Touch Bar:

User uploaded file

This Touch Bar persists across all apps. If I tap the button, the regular Touch Bar returns with a BTT icon in the Control Strip...it looks like the BTT icon. The only time I don't see the BTT icon is when I have forced display of the regular Function keys in Excel.

I hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2017 1:13 AM in response to erikyoung1111

This touch bar with the over-sensitive Esc key is driving me mad. I constantly and again activate the esc key w/o intent. Apple Support suggested that I used caps lock as esc key... but having two esc key does not help. It indeed made it worse as I found that I sometimes hit caps lock by accident.

Best workaround so far - but it is hopefully not the long term fix.

User uploaded file

Apple, pls help:

- Priority 1: allow the "customize control strip" to move (and remove) the esc key to a new location - seems like a very simple and solid fix

- Priority 2: make the the sensitivity configurable - might not help

- Priority 5: show an alert: You pressed esc - do you mean it? [Yes] [No]

br

Feb 8, 2017 10:58 PM in response to erikyoung1111

Man, this is driving me nuts!

I am not a touch typer, so my hands obviously don't sit where they are supposed to, and because of this I keep accidentally hitting the ESC key on the touchbar. I have done it 3 times while typing this message it's PEEING me off!

All i need to do is move it to the right about 5cm, or get rid of it altogether, but can't find a way.

REALLY ANNOYING APPLE!!!!!! Sheesh! not all of us are superior beings that can type 200 words a minute.

Come on!!! How about you help us not so expert typers fix this problem!!

Aug 7, 2017 4:20 PM in response to erikyoung1111

I have definitely got to get me that BetterTouchTool. The placement of the touch bar is frustratingly annoying, who the heck would put it right above the number keys, no spacing, so everytime my hands graze up, I'm dropping the brightness, or giving Siri a poke.... And putting the esc key on there? Idiocy! If Steve were still alive, he'd find the designer of this nightmare and give him a good slap. Sorry folks, I just had to vent...

Aug 7, 2017 4:29 PM in response to howard_in_sj

So I have BetterTouch.

You create a couple widgets or buttons in it for the touch bar AND unselect "Show MacOS control Strip".

This is a bit stupid because you will lose the contextual MacOS.. strip.

What I did is add a 4 fingers swipe down trackpad gesture with the predefined BetterTouch action called "Toggle BetterTouchTool touch bar".

Now I only have to swipe down and I can also see the contextual bar. By default there is no ESC button in this stupid location anymore!

Feb 4, 2018 4:17 AM in response to _Von__

Baffling app. I followed directions and they sort of worked. When I set up the usable touchbar (w/out all the standard nonsense) it looked as expected. The 1st time I toggled the key, the demonic default settings did return as promised. However, I cannot get the usable version back. There is nothing on the "demonic" touchbar that allows one to retoggle. Rerunning the setup instructions does NOT bring the "usable" version of the touchbar back. I'm now wishing I had named the button "Never Touch This".

Move Esc key on touch bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.