Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering and pixelated screen

I've had my new MacBook Pro for about a week now, already the screen has started flickering. Today the whole screen became all pixelated and glitchy to the point that I couldn't see the mouse cursor moving. I reset the MacBook and now it's still flickering. I'm taking it in to be repaired on Friday the 2nd as this was the earliest time I could book it in.

It ***** when you spend a lot of money on new gear and it doesn't work.

This is my first Apple computer, I thought Apple had this kinda stuff under control. . .

I've owned several computers in my life and none of them have ever had hardware issues. . .

I guess I was unlucky.

Anyone else had this problem or know of a fix? I'm guessing it's hardware, but maybe its a software problem?
Cheers

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2016 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2016 7:04 PM

Hi,

Personally, I wouldn't settle for a new repaired computer. If you're still in your 14 day return period, I'd return it either for a refund or a new MBP.

17 replies

Nov 26, 2016 8:38 PM in response to jaguitadrubas

You're welcome. 🙂 Better luck on your new one if that's what you decide to do. FWIW, I've been working on Mac notebooks since 1992, and neither I, nor anyone I know, has ever had a hardware issue. Here in ASCs, we only hear from the people whose Macs have issues. Out of the millions and millions of Macs sold, I think very few have hardware problems, but there certainly have been instances where a whole, or almost all, of a release has had hardware issues, but luckily these are very rare. Right now, here in ASCs, it seems like the 2016 MBPs have many and varied issues, but again, we only hear from those whose Macs have issues.

Nov 27, 2016 1:50 AM in response to jaguitadrubas

Hey mate, I have the the exactly same issue, happened 5 five times for me within 1 week time. Randomly happened, can't repeat the same issue with a specific testing case. Really bug me lot. And I heard from some Mac forum, a lot of people have the same pixelated screen issue as well. Really disappointed with this new Macbook.😠😠😠

Nov 27, 2016 1:57 AM in response to Mizuluffy

Hey Mizuluffy, did yours get really hot before it happened? Maybe it's just a coincidence? If yours got hot too, I reckon it might be the cooling system 😝 Shame that others are having the problem too. I reinstalled macOS Sierra and everything is running smoothly. . . FOR NOW

Hopefully this doesn't happen again, and if it does I hope that it happens before Friday rather than after.
All the best.

Nov 27, 2016 2:10 AM in response to jaguitadrubas

Hey mate, it's not getting really hot, but the section above the touch bar always a little bit hotter than my old Mac.

The issue happened when I tried to open multiple app at the same time, the screen just pixelated and mess up. I did hear some one have the issue with the cooling system "the fan not running at first".

But I believe the "pixelated screen" issue is not a rare case this time, several media have already reported this issue, and still waiting the official response from apple.

User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2016 10:05 AM in response to jaguitadrubas

I had this problem too...boxed mine up and returned it. (I BTO'd a maxed-out 15" and had this happen.) I suspect it's a problem with the Radeon chip, System Report said that it was using the integrated Intel graphics. Running diagnostics found nothing. I wish you luck in finding a fix and I'm curious if it is a rare occurrence or is affecting many users.

Dec 5, 2016 3:04 PM in response to dovaneupen

I ended up taking my MacBook Pro in for Replacement, as my local store didn't have my particular model I had to order a new one online. Now i'm having to wait yet another three weeks. If this one arrives faulty I swear I will lose my ****. Apple haven't said anything concrete so far. However I did see an article saying it could be a driver issue rather than a hardware issue. Also found out that apparently last gen MacBook Pros are as powerful or more powerful than the new 2016 models (based on real life situations like video export etc.) Sounds absolutely ridiculous to release new gen that is slower, has bugs and less battery life. . . I highly doubt any truth to the rumors, it's just too ridiculous.

Dec 5, 2016 3:27 PM in response to jaguitadrubas

It would be, yes. I feel similarly frustrated, maybe due to the high hopes, who knows. Either way, with a price tag like that, this should obviously not happen. Apple products have, for the most part over the past 10 years, served me wonderfully, and I hope what the product might lack, the service will make up. Have a phone call schedules for tomorrow and will see about the response. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give it back, unless they have an immediate replacement (unlikely), because I need it for work. Just hope that once they do get a replacement, I will still be able to return and exchange it, since that might be after the return period ends. Anyway, will keep you posted if I get any valuable info.

Flickering and pixelated screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.