Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"this website has been blocked from automatically composing an email"

I was using Safari on my iPad when I clicked on an email address on a web page. I expected that doing so would open up a new email in Mail with the address I had clicked on inserted in the To field. Instead I got a popup window with the text "this website has been blocked from automatically composing an email". See the included image. Can anyone explain what this is about?

Thanks

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 26, 2016 7:11 PM

14 replies

Jan 11, 2017 8:25 AM in response to Russ G

Issues with Safari and "This website has been blocked from automatically composing an email."

My research on Google suggests that this Error-type Message started happening in about November with an update to Safari, which likely occurred concurrently with Apple's update to iOS 10.2. As of today (1/11/17) that is the latest version of iOS for iPads and perhaps iPhones, too.

From my point of view, this is a horrible message because it throws a Big Cloud of Suspicion over my little company's perfectly safe-to-use website and also our perfectly safe-to-use ShareThis blog sharing tools. I love these sharing tools and now Apple has put big ??????'s over all of our highly rated blog articles and also our website.

I personally use the ShareThis Email Sharing Button a lot on our blog to send our blog articles to Clients and Prospective Clients. Consequently, I get to see that ominous Error-type Message a lot.

True, anyone can work around it by clicking on "Allow," which is what I do now when I want to use the ShareThis Email Sharing Button.

However, it's my company's website and I now know that it really isn't going to cause me a problem by clicking on Allow.

But our Website/Blog Readers who use Safari don't know that. It's a concerning enough pop up message to cause them to quit using our website and blog altogether, as who knows what virus or malware will infect them if they continue using our website and blog?

No one who has their own website or blog (and is in their right mind) wants to have such an ominous pop up message appear to their Readers, Clients and Prospective Clients. 

Thank you very much for reconsidering the elimination of this misguided improvement to Safari: "This website has been blocked from automatically composing an email."

Nov 26, 2016 9:42 PM in response to Russ G

Russ G wrote:

I expected that doing so would open up a new email in Mail with the address I had clicked on inserted in the To field.

That would certainly not be my expectation given your screen shot.

What I would expect is that you fill in your name, telephone number, and comments or questions in the form shown, enter the captcha information below your comments (to prove you are not a robot), then press some button below the captcha request to submit your question over the web.

Your iPad's email will have no involvement in this process.

Nov 27, 2016 8:24 AM in response to sberman

Thanks for pointing out the web form. To be honest I'm not sure I paid much attention to it because the first thing I did was to click on the email address at the top right. In my experience when I've been presented with a clickable email address on a web page it has always opened a new email in Mail when clicked and this has been true for thousands of occurrences. I have never before seen the popup shown in the screen capture I included in my original post. Have you ever encountered that? What causes that? Are there settings to enable or disable that behavior?

Nov 27, 2016 1:41 PM in response to Russ G

I actually went to the website you indicated in your screen shot.

I got the same pop-up you did upon clicking the email address.

"Ignore" and "Allow", however, worked as I would have expected. If I chose "Ignore", my email request disappeared. If I chose "Allow", I was allowed to construct the email just as you would expect.

So I wouldn't be concerned about the pop-up ... although, as I said above, I would think the first choice would be to use the form provided.

Nov 27, 2016 2:50 PM in response to sberman

I'm uncertain if concern is warranted or not. I recently saw a report about how clicking on a certain option (in another circumstance) could expose the user to security breaches and I don't like clicking on stuff I don't understand. That leads me back to the reason for me starting this thread which was to learn about/understand what was going on. My problem is not and was not then being able to send an email; it was to understand what was going on... why that message appeared. I still don't know.

Nov 27, 2016 6:12 PM in response to Russ G

The website behavior is determined by the company's webmaster who designed the site/wrote the code. There are many sites where you can send a regular email; there are many more where they pop up a window and that is the only way they want you to contact them. More than likely that is what this is about. Clicking on a "contact us" link will mostly result in a popup or separate window with an email-like box in it.

If you don't feel comfortable with that process, I'd try to find an email address on that page (I see one on that screenshot of yours), open Mail and send a regular email. Or, better yet, do not use your "real" email address, but open a Yahoo or Gmail account and send one from there - I have several "junk" web based email providers - which keeps the spam out of my real Mail program.

Nov 27, 2016 6:18 PM in response to Russ G

@babowa is exactly right: "The website behavior is determined by the company's webmaster who designed the site/wrote the code." The website itself seems more significant than your browser in determining the resulting behavior.

For comparison, consider the site:

http://appleinsider.com/contact/

Under the "Masthead" heading there, you will find clickable email addresses. Clicking any of them would enable you to send an email to that address from Safari without the pop-up you are seeing from the cordeliarv website.

"this website has been blocked from automatically composing an email"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.