Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URLs with the type “smb:” are not supported.

Hello!

I'm trying to connect to my home server, but I keep getting the following error when I try logging on as a registered user:

I have only encountered this error message under macOS Sierra. What could be causing this problem, and is there a solution?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2016 8:22 AM

6 replies

Mar 26, 2017 6:36 PM in response to andrew_241

Ok, I found out what the problem is. I had to join my Active Directory domain (running Windows Server 2016; clients are running Windows 10) in macOS under 'Users and Groups' and 'Login Options'. I never had to do that before though. Perhaps I needed to format the username differently after selecting 'Connect as' in Finder? ('DOMAIN\Username', or 'Username@domain' instead of just 'Username'? My username for the domain in question is my full name with a space.)

I also tried connecting my computer through a switch to an old laptop running Windows 8.1. Accessing a shared folder on the old laptop worked fine provided I entered a registered user's username (as plain 'Username', and this one had no space) and password. This machine was not joined to any domain.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.