Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes keeps asking for password.

Hi

I'm using itunes 12.5.3.17 installed on a windows 7 pro

Every time I open the itunes app, it asks me for the itunes store password. I type the password, it works but the next time I open itunes, it asks again for the password.

In the itunes store preferences I set the 'never ask' option for the password but it doesen't work.

I've tried to reinstall itunes and to delete the .itunes prefernces.plist file but my problem is not solved.

Please, help me to solve it.

Thanks

mb

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 28, 2016 5:20 AM

16 replies

Oct 28, 2017 5:45 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm having the same problem as balma01, i.e. iTunes asks for my password every time I open it. I didn't understand your recommendation, which apparently worked -- "Turn off and options to check for available purchases or automatic downloads." Turn off what? and where do you turn off the options to check for available purchases or automatic downloads? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2016 7:23 AM in response to balma01

It used to be that resetting preferences by deleting a file called C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunesiTunesPrefs.xml would resolve this sort of problem. However a recent build of iTunes changed the way preferences are stored. Here is a list of the items that I noticed changing a few weeks ago each time I updated something in preferences. Can you see each of these three listed folders inside %appdata%\Apple Computer? If not the permissions for the folders might be wrong. You could try deleting them so they are rebuilt as needed, or create them manually if you don't see them.

• C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Cookies
  • C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences
  • C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\By Host

User uploaded file

It may also help to right-click the icon that launches iTunes and use Run as administrator or open it once in safe mode by holding down ctrl+shift as you launch it.

If nothing so far has helped see Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test behaviour in a new user account.

tt2

Nov 28, 2016 8:35 AM in response to turingtest2

I had this same issue some months ago. Even posted here looking for help. Never found a simple answer. What I ended up doing was to totally remove iTunes, revert to a version that did NOT have the problem and then updated version by version until I got to the lastest. I haven't seen the problem since. I still have no idea what caused it, or more specifically what fixed it. But just removing the prefs file(s) didn't help. If anyone has the magic potion, please post it. 😁

Nov 28, 2016 8:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi.

I do not have folders

• C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences
  • C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\By Host

but if I create them manually the problem is not solved.

Neither using a new itunes library or running itunes as an administrator

I've tried to create a new win user and to access my PC with it but I get 'the profile service is not available'. I cannot understand if this issue is releated to the itunes one.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2016 8:57 AM in response to balma01

Was there any data inside C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Cookies?

If this is a work laptop used at home then it could be looking for a domain controller, otherwise I'm not sure what the issue with the profile service might be. Windows 7 Pro should support multiple accounts. Perhaps you've tried to create an account without launching the control panel as an administrator.

tt2

Itunes keeps asking for password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.